Cellulose Panels

Go for Broke

New guy here.

I found a reference to cellulose panels, cellulose sandwich plate construction, cellulose construction methods and a picture of a circular saw cutting a honeycomb looking material in this link:

What the heck is is this stuff...cellulose?

My internet searches came up with a very technical EU research paper and a single company making counter tops. I couldn't even find this article doing a search of this forum. Anyone out there who can point me towards more information?

Naturally, I am looking for the "perfect" DIY material (but then who isn't).

Thanks everyone.

Charles R

Adventurer
I know this isn't really what you're looking for. But it's an impressive company working with natural fibers.

Teardropper

What the heck is is this stuff...cellulose?

Forty years ago, house framing was sheathed with cellulose blackboard. The corners were done with plywood and this stuff –made from corn stalks– was placed everywhere else. The stuff had no strength.

I suspect this new cellulose sheeting is also made from corn stalks. I see its primary use is for acoustic purposes, not strength.

T

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Cellulose is a polymer (very long molecule composed of repeating sub-units). Cellulose is the structural unit of plants. Cotton fiber is 90% cellulose, wood is 50%.

It would not be much of a stretch to say plywood was a cellulose product.

Paper is made from cellulose fiber. Could be the material in question is laminated paper reinforced with an adhesive binder. Such products can be quite strong. The friction material used for automatic transmission clutch discs is commonly paper based with a thermosetting binder plus various other ingredients as friction modifiers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal