Comfortable 2 Person sleeping bag recommendations for camper van

jamesm113

Have a Chevy express camper / moto van. Since the bikes are hauled inside the van, the bed platform is stowed on the walls and has to be manually setup and torn down every time we set up / tear down camp. Since there's quite a few other steps involved in getting the bed setup (unload gear + bikes, inflate camp pads, unroll + unzip 2 sleeping bags, then zip the sleeping bags together), we'd like to streamline as much as possible.

We'll camp in outdoor temps ranging from anywhere from 25F to 90F, with most nights between 45F and 60F. The van is fairly well insulated and retains heat well through the night, but the van does not have heat source other than us and the dog.

We've been currently using 2 Coleman Brazos 30F sleeping bags, but last trip out one of the zippers gave up the ghost. They've worked fairly well, except for a few issues:
* Poor stitching on the zippers creates gaps that lets cold air in
* There's a gap at the bottom between the two zippers lets cold air in
* Setup / tear down is kind of a pain, since they can't be stored as a single unit. Also having two separate bags is fairly bulky

We do like having the cotton-like feel on the inside - it's not as cold when we first crawl in and it breathes/absorbs moisture, much like our sheets at home. We don't find the tech material that is common in backpacking bags super comfortable - it's cold to the touch at first, and doesn't really breath well.

Any recommendations for a better sleeping bag set up? Probably looking for something around the 20-30F degree range and something that will help streamline setup and tear down. Can always pack an extra blanket if the forecast is colder. Thanks!

Have you considered one of the down blankets/comforters? I have a number of sleeping bags, both single and double, and I can’t say that I really like any of them. My goto bag is my ancient North Face Blue Kazoo usually unzipped and used as a blanket, or an even more ancient USMC poncho liner that I brought back from Vietnam.

For really cold weather I use an old Eddie Bauer -30° Karakoram that was gifted to me years ago. It’s been more places than I’ve ever thought of going. Again, as long as I have sufficient insulation under me, It’s most often used as a blanket.

jamesm113

Have you considered one of the down blankets/comforters? I have a number of sleeping bags, both single and double, and I can’t say that I really like any of them. My goto bag is my ancient North Face Blue Kazoo usually unzipped and used as a blanket, or an even more ancient USMC poncho liner that I brought back from Vietnam.

For really cold weather I use an old Eddie Bauer -30° Karakoram that was gifted to me years ago. It’s been more places than I’ve ever thought of going. Again, as long as I have sufficient insulation under me, It’s most often used as a blanket.
Do you use any sheets or blankets in addition to the blanket/comforter?

We sleep on Nemo Roamer camp pads that plenty of insulation below us, but we'd want at least a sheet between us and the pads (and maybe even the comforter), which I would think would add additional setup/tear down time.

chet6.7

Explorer
''Setup / tear down is kind of a pain, since they can't be stored as a single unit. Also having two separate bags is fairly bulky''
I have the Teton double bag, it is bulky.

Do you use any sheets or blankets in addition to the blanket/comforter?

We sleep on Nemo Roamer camp pads that plenty of insulation below us, but we'd want at least a sheet between us and the pads (and maybe even the comforter), which I would think would add additional setup/tear down time.
I have some old cotton hospital “blankets” that I lay over the pads, and if really warm (I.e. hot), I use another as a blanket (in place of the poncho liner) If it starts to cool off. I’m not excessively compulsive about “making the bed”.

jchasse

I forgot about the successor to Travasak, RVsuperbag. They make bedding for (surprise) RVs, and boats. Travasak used to be considered well made, but no idea about them today.
While it initially seems a little old-school, we've been using the RV Superbag for 5+ years now and absolutely love it. With the upgraded high thread-count cotton liner it's the most comfortable bag I've ever slept in. And being able to flip it over to have a "winter" side up or a "summer" side up makes it super versatile.

jchasse

Wow, seriously pricey.
If you say so.

I paid ~$400 for an honest-to-god queen size “sleeping bag” that still looks brand new going into year 7. The zippers are bomber. I’m sleeping in easily washable 600 thread count cotton sheets :cool: that were really well designed and Velcro in, so they become a seamless part of the bag. It’s easily more comfortable than my bedding at home, or sleeping in my $500 Western Mountaineering bag or similarly expensive Enlightened Equipment quilt. And I have zero doubt the Superbag will last another 7 years.

It was a bargain in my opinion. But only you can decide how to spend your $$. Cheers!

Last edited:

jamesm113

Kind of find to hard much info on the RV super bag and their website is straight out of the 90s :D

Can it be easily be shoved in the $25 sack add-on with the sheets?

What kind of temps can it handle? While our van is insulated, there's no source of heat, and it can get chilly inside, so want something that can handle cooler nights.

XJLI

Adventurer
I have a Teton double and a Sierra frontcountry duo 35. The sierra is a nice bag and packs small, the Teton is huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3