Convince me an Arkto G12 (or something I haven't thought of yet) will suit a family of 3's needs

foxintheforest

We've had a variety of campers over the years - mostly modifying standard campers for offroad use. Example: We've got a Flagstaff Mac that we did a leafover on and gave it better wheels for some clearance. But the issue we keep running into is stuff breaking after a short amount of use. Our leaf spring recently broke on our current camper and before that, we had a few structural issues on an American Flyer Teardrop we owned. We aren't romping these things, but we certainly push the limits.

So we are looking to upgrade to something that's capable of regular off-road use. We mostly disperse camp down dirt in CO/UT/AZ/WY.
I get that things will still break (that's owning toys), but we are in the market for something durable with a capable suspension system that fits our needs.
We are a family of 3, no pets but that could change, and we've got a Toyota 4Runner (towing capacity is 5,000 lbs).
Living in the mountains means we don't want to push towing capacity. We've also got a smaller garage and need to store our camper in there (can't store it in our driveway).
We're looking for something that's durable and capable above all else. But it's gotta sleep 3, have room to stand up/hang out in bad weather, and being able to sleep without unhooking it is a huge plus (for those times where you're just doing a quick stopover to get somewhere else).
Toilet/shower are important since we often go on very long trips and have a young child (messy).
The Arkto G12 seems to check a LOT of those boxes. But I'm wondering if I'm missing anything else? Something like the Boreas EOS 12 is out of our price range. The Opus 12 seems like you're paying for quite a bit of seating? Plus I'm unsure what would happen if their inflation system broke?
If you've got an Arkto or similar model and you've had a pop-up or teardrop prior, I'd love to hear your biggest pluses/minuses from the switch.
For reference, our daughter is quite young, so having the space of a the pop-up has been great (and weight of course), but more moving parts, means more things break/wear out. Plus, she needs less space as she gets older. We got rid of our teardrop because you couldn't stand up or hang out inside.

highwest

The 4600lbs of that Arkto is getting mighty close to your tow capacity, but it sure looks like a nice trailer. I would also look at the TetonX and Mission Overland. We love our Summit from MO and also have a family of 3, though there may not be as much interior living as you prefer.

EPO

Was going to add the same info as above.

The Arkto will clear an 8' garage; see my prior photos.

My Ford Ranger pulls the Arkto nicely but I personally wouldn't want less in the mountains or even the windy flats with a headwind. I know people tow with 4Runners but that would not be my choice if doing extended trips. In fact, I'd prefer to tow with even more than the Ranger.

foxintheforest

The 4600lbs of that Arkto is getting mighty close to your tow capacity, but it sure looks like a nice trailer. I would also look at the TetonX and Mission Overland. We love our Summit from MO and also have a family of 3, though there may not be as much interior living as you prefer.
I'll check these out, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat