Crazy intake Idea! 1997 E350 7.3 PSD

motoboy125

So i had a crazy idea and i need some opinions. I have the ambulance mod E350 with a Giant center console. What if i drilled a big *** hole in the dog house and Fed tube straight to the turbo and have the intake inside the cab? The center consol is a closed consol and I feel like it would work great considering knowone makes an intake for these vans with the 7.3. Any thoughts?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Like most things it works for certain applications. It is pretty common for mud boggers to run a setup like that.

Downsides are the noise and of course you lose any heating/cooling.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
cant even imagine MORE noise inside the cab than the 7.3 already produces. youd go deaf, lol.

theres been a few people craft intakes for these vans. all involved relocating the battery out of the engine bay. once the battery and factory airbox is gone it appears theres room for a tube and a nice big filter.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Noise is one issue, With the windows up, would there be enough air entering the van to feed the engine or would it cause a vacuum ? Do diesels backfire? I'd hate to have the engine backfire into the cab.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Motoboy, I agree with Noisy! The factory box has been tested against other set-ups and is actually pretty efficient in flow comparisons. It can be slightly improved. A full relocation to passenger fender requires much more than battery relocation. It has been done by also eliminating fuel bowl, switching to 1 lower (ambulance) alternator, etc. That would allow you to run 4" round to a Napa 6637 filter in a box with intake through fender or wheelwell. If you want to improve factory box, at least put heat reflective foil tape with flame proof adhesive on bottom and sides of plastic air box. Keep clean filters in there and make sure your whole cooling system is top notch. Cheers!

motoboy125

I want to run a 4in exhaust for my van but i was told by a diesel guy that if i do this i would have to get more air into the motor.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
The most restrictive part of the system is the turbo outlet which is less than 3". You can remove the butterfly, but you can't change the diameter. most bang for the buck is to install a Walker 21470 straight through muffler for $50 and use the difference to get a Wicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel ($250). More air, less surge, and less exhaust restriction.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I purchased a 4 inch turbo back exhaust system from amazon for $250 shipped. Even supplied with muffler and muffler delete.
It fit w/o any issue and I had all the seams welded to prevent getting loose or having leaks.
I recently installed a wicked wheel and all with the stock intake system. No problems, no unnecessary noise...

TwinStick

Explorer
Hop up the engine & it might even suck the clothes off your wife/gf when you stomp the go pedal !!! LOL. I think it would be wayy noisy as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven