Crossing Borders: Renting Cars for a Family Adventure

joxeph

Our family has made the decision to embark on a Portugal adventure next year! Rather than opting for an SUV, we're utilizing public transportation in cities like Lisbon and Porto, reserving a smaller car for countryside explorations. My wife has friends in Spain she'd love to visit, so we're thinking of extending the trip and maybe even doing some trekking in Spain too! Sounds like the family is up for an adventure.

To those familiar with renting cars and crossing borders, I have a query: Is it possible to rent a car in Portugal and drive it into Spain?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

kmacafee

Adventurer
Check out Auto Europe. We did a several week trip through Europe and it was cheaper to buy a car thru them and sell it back. Easy process on both ends.

joxeph

Sorry, @mog if I forgot to include the link to my previous thread, and thanks for inserting it here. I really appreciate what the community has provided me in that thread.

joxeph

I flew that way many times in Europe, make sure the rental car company puts the country to be visited on your rental agreement and proof of insurance with countries listed.

The Spanish Riviera, Caló des Moro, Mallorca is a must!
It's better than the French beaches, IMO.......
Thanks for the tips, @Ozarker! My family is initially planning on visiting the beaches in Portugal and the mountains in Spain. However, we welcome suggestions for must-see beaches in Spain as well. The Spanish Riviera and Caló des Moro in Mallorca does look beautiful in photos - we'll have to see if those two beaches have some nearby mountains we can climb so that we can enjoy both activities in a single place. It's great to know about getting the rental agreement and insurance to cover both countries. Thanks again for the advice!

joxeph

Check out Auto Europe. We did a several week trip through Europe and it was cheaper to buy a car thru them and sell it back. Easy process on both ends.
That's an interesting tip about Auto Europe. I hadn't considered actually purchasing a car for the trip, just renting one. But I appreciate the outside-the-box idea. Being able to buy a vehicle and then sell it back does seem like it could potentially work out cheaper than a long-term rental. We are probably going to spend about 3 weeks total for both countries. How many weeks was your Europe trip, @kmacafee?

kmacafee

Adventurer
That's an interesting tip about Auto Europe. I hadn't considered actually purchasing a car for the trip, just renting one. But I appreciate the outside-the-box idea. Being able to buy a vehicle and then sell it back does seem like it could potentially work out cheaper than a long-term rental. We are probably going to spend about 3 weeks total for both countries. How many weeks was your Europe trip, @kmacafee?
Almost 4. The package including insurance (0 deductible) was cheaper than renting. What the rental car companies don’t tell you is if you pick the car up in one country and drop off in another, the drop off fees can be substantial. Our rental was brand new and trucked to the pickup in France. We dropped it off in Venice and the process was quicker and simpler than buying and selling in the states. We rented a Peugeot diesel SUV which got great mileage and had plenty of room for 4 adults, a 3 year old and luggage.

joxeph

Almost 4. The package including insurance (0 deductible) was cheaper than renting. What the rental car companies don’t tell you is if you pick the car up in one country and drop off in another, the drop off fees can be substantial. Our rental was brand new and trucked to the pickup in France. We dropped it off in Venice and the process was quicker and simpler than buying and selling in the states. We rented a Peugeot diesel SUV which got great mileage and had plenty of room for 4 adults, a 3 year old and luggage.
The point about drop-off fees for cross-country rentals is often overlooked, and your solution of buying and selling the car back seems like a smart alternative. Knowing what other travelers have done successfully often gives better peace of mind. Thanks again!

clark_henry

Our family has made the decision to embark on a Portugal adventure next year! Rather than opting for an SUV, we're utilizing public transportation in cities like Lisbon and Porto, reserving a smaller car for countryside explorations. My wife has friends in Spain she'd love to visit, so we're thinking of extending the trip and maybe even doing some trekking in Spain too! Sounds like the family is up for an adventure.

To those familiar with renting cars and crossing borders, I have a query: Is it possible to rent a car in Portugal and drive it into Spain?
Taking a road trip between Portugal and Spain is now possible for Europeans as border restrictions are lifted for those travelling by road between the two countries https://openuptoeurope.eu/spain-and-portugal-open-border/ Most major car rental companies in Portugal will allow you to take the car across the border into Spain. Just be sure to let the rental agency know ahead of time that you plan to drive the car into Spain. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll likely need to purchase additional car insurance coverage for driving in Spain, as your Portuguese rental agreement may not fully cover you there.
As for the trekking, you can trek in Picos de Europa National Park, Pyrenees Mountains, Sierra Nevada National Park. You can check this article https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-spain-statistics-2024-your-in-depth-travel-guide-5686 to get some insight about travel in Spain

joxeph

Taking a road trip between Portugal and Spain is now possible for Europeans as border restrictions are lifted for those travelling by road between the two countries https://openuptoeurope.eu/spain-and-portugal-open-border/ Most major car rental companies in Portugal will allow you to take the car across the border into Spain. Just be sure to let the rental agency know ahead of time that you plan to drive the car into Spain. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll likely need to purchase additional car insurance coverage for driving in Spain, as your Portuguese rental agreement may not fully cover you there.
As for the trekking, you can trek in Picos de Europa National Park, Pyrenees Mountains, Sierra Nevada National Park. You can check this article https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-spain-statistics-2024-your-in-depth-travel-guide-5686 to get some insight about travel in Spain
The article about border restrictions is an old one, but thanks anyway. I also appreciate the reminder about the possible additional car insurance for Spain. Those trekking spots sound amazing. I'm leaning towards the Picos de Europa - heard the views are incredible. That tourism article's an awesome resource, even if we have been to Spain in the past.

clark_henry

The article about border restrictions is an old one, but thanks anyway. I also appreciate the reminder about the possible additional car insurance for Spain. Those trekking spots sound amazing. I'm leaning towards the Picos de Europa - heard the views are incredible. That tourism article's an awesome resource, even if we have been to Spain in the past.
I have cross-checked with another source, https://www.danflyingsolo.com/travel-portugal-coronavirus-2022/ Spain implemented that pcr test right after Covid, but it's scrapped now anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3