Death Valley National Park T-Day 2010

FishPOET

Adventurer
Tracy and I left Norco at 10am on Wednesday 11-24. We gassed up in Trona and headed up to Wildrose Campground where our group of 6 were to assemble. Tracy and I were in camp by 2pm. Scott, Amy & Chloe in the green JK w/trailer and Mike, Shirley & Nieco in the blue TJ w/trailer arrived around 4pm. Mike, Sharon & Louise in the green TJ w/trailer, Chuck, Alycia & Cody in the black CJ and Kurt in the maroon TJ arrived at 8pm. Roger in the black CJ joined us on Thursday night. The lows at Wildrose Campground overnight dropped to 19°.

Wildrose Campground
IMG_2500.jpg

Our goal on Thursday 11-25 was to reach Eureka Dunes. We went through Panamint Valley, Lone Pine & Big Pine before re-entering DVNP.

Tracy & the Black Pearl at Father Crowley Point looking down on Panamint Valley
IMG_2505.jpg

Lunch at Big Pine gave us this view of the Eastern Sierras. Photo courtesy of Chuck McInnish.
PB250212.jpg

We arrived at Eureka Dunes at 3pm leaving us with plenty of time to explore before dark.

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2517a.jpg

Camp
IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

For dinner we deep fried 2 turkeys
IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

Tracy made dutch oven Mac N Cheese
IMG_2562.jpg

The others contributed potato souffle, pineapple glazed ham, southern style dressing, mashed potatoes, Chuck's pan of goodies (Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Mango Chutney, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Pumpkin Seeds), corn, fresh cranberries, cranberry walnut salad, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, brownies....

Dinner was amazing!
IMG_2587.jpg

Roger arrived around 8pm. We sat around the campfire until 10pm. The overnight low dropped to 8°.

to be continued....

Last edited:

FishPOET

Adventurer
We met up with Chris and Ginger in their Sportsmobile on Thursday and they decided to follow us through Dedeckera Canyon and up Steel Pass on Friday.

Leaving Eureka Dunes
IMG_2592.jpg

Entering Dedeckera Canyon
IMG_2597.jpg

Dedeckera Canyon
IMG_2604.jpg

Dedeckera Canyon
IMG_2605.jpg

Mike, Shirley & Nieco climbing a step in Dedeckera Canyon

The Black Pearl climbing a step in Dedeckera Canyon

Chris & Ginger playing on a step in Dedeckera Canyon

Chris & Ginger turning on the lockers, climbing the step and squeezing through

Mike Anderson's video of Dedeckera Canyon
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0_QvlnFduQ"]YouTube - Dedeckera Canyon 2010[/ame]

Top of Steel Pass
IMG_2610.jpg

Mike sitting in the Marble Tub
IMG_2612.jpg

Going Down Steel Pass into Saline Valley
IMG_2616.jpg

Upper Warm Spring in Saline Valley
IMG_2620.jpg

Wild Burros in Saline Valley
IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

We camped about 1/4 mile away from Warm Springs Campground in Saline Valley
IMG_2639.jpg

Overnight lows dropped to 26°

to be continued......

Last edited:

FishPOET

Adventurer
Saturday morning we left Warm Springs Campground at 9am. Our first stop was Bat Rock Road
IMG_2640.jpg

We headed down to the Salt Tram
IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

Saline Lake
IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

And over to Big Silver Mine
IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

On our way out of Saline Valley Mike A's trailer lost it's axle
PB270320.jpg

Chuck has a Ready-Welder and the rest of us chipped in nuts & bolts and we were ready to roll in less than 2 hours.

PB270336-1.jpg

Up in South Pass Mike D's trailer had a spring mount break. Once again Chuck's Ready-Welder came out and we got Mike back on the road.

Tracy and I spent Saturday night in Wildrose Campground. Temps dropped to 22°.

Sunday morning we were on the road by 9am. On the last turn climbing the Trona Pass my trailer dropped onto the shoulder and blew both passenger side tires. It was over 1/4 mile to a turnout and by the time I limped there both rims were shot.
100_2132.jpg

I carry 2 spares and it took about a half hour to put the spares on and we were on our way. We got stopped for a train stopped on the tracks at Kramer Junction and were home by 1:30pm.

Even with the cold temps and trailer troubles it was still a fantastic few days with good friends in DVNP.

suntinez

Explorer
Wow what a feast!! Great pics of the dunes and the upper warm springs, don't see pics of those too often. Sorry to hear about the mishaps, though it sounds like everyone came out ok-ish.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Great trip report. Nice panoramic photos, too! Your group has some nice machinery...looks like fun.:smiley_drive:

Jis4Jeep

Observer
Great pics Doug it was great meeting Tracey and yourself look forward to seeing you guys at IDTT.

The trip was awesome we had some mishaps but thats life our crew rocked! I will say it was very very very cold and other than that it was an excellent trip! My son Nieco already wants to go back I told him he has to wait till next year.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
I saw you guys

I was in the old land rover that passed you while you were welding the spring hanger near hunter mountain road. Glad you made it out! I came back out early the next morning and you were gone. I wish I had room for a welder, I know I will need one some day!

Errant

Explorer
Thanks for the trip report, Doug. Looks like you had a great time, even with everyone taking turns on trailer repairs :)

Jis4Jeep

Observer
I was in the old land rover that passed you while you were welding the spring hanger near hunter mountain road. Glad you made it out! I came back out early the next morning and you were gone. I wish I had room for a welder, I know I will need one some day!

Yep that was me welding my trailer that welder belongs to the CJ that was there and I have used it twice in 3 years on the trail. I want one, I need one, I will get one :victory:

Thanks for checking on us the next day!

Last edited:

dr.dirty

Observer
Doug as always it was awesome to spend the holidays with great friends. Im glad chuck brought his welder because i forgot mine at home....... what an epic trip

Scoutman

Explorer
So what happened to the trail trailer? You said it lost the axle... was it a weld or hardware failure?

Thanks for the trip report. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal