Diesel heater in a four wheel camper?

Vst

Has anyone ever installed or swapped out a heater in there camper for a diesel heater? I recently picked up a shell model and thinking of installing a diesel heater it currently has no heater at all. Just looking for some ideas on how people have installed them. Thanks

kerry

Expedition Leader
We installed a propane Dickinson in our Northstar. Dickinsons can operate without electricity

1000arms

You might also look at

Vst

You might also look at

i like the dickenson fireplace heaters but hoping to not spend $1200 bucks lol

1000arms

i like the Dickinson fireplace heaters but hoping to not spend $1200 bucks lol
Maybe for a propane fireplace? :cool:

Much lower cost Dickinson solid fuel heater:

There is also the Dickinson "Cozy Cabin Propane Heater":

I suggest checking prices at places that carry Dickinson rather than buying directly from them. For example, see:

ramblinChet

I think the marine heaters are really cool but one major problem is our FWCs have roofs that move up and down and these heaters require a double walled straight pipe to go up through the roof. Another reason they are not the best choice is because they take a long time to heat up and you are not able to just shut them off and walk away. And although they are very efficient on fuel they still require feeding are certain intervals.

I will be installing a diesel or maybe a gas heater in my shell. They put out an appropriate amount of heat and literally sip fuel. Once I purchase mine I will read the manufacturers installation instructions and install accordingly.

Vst

I think the marine heaters are really cool but one major problem is our FWCs have roofs that move up and down and these heaters require a double walled straight pipe to go up through the roof. Another reason they are not the best choice is because they take a long time to heat up and you are not able to just shut them off and walk away. And although they are very efficient on fuel they still require feeding are certain intervals.

I will be installing a diesel or maybe a gas heater in my shell. They put out an appropriate amount of heat and literally sip fuel. Once I purchase mine I will read the manufacturers installation instructions and install accordingly.

yes I will be installing a chines diesel heater in mine also. I was just hoping to get some ideas on how people ran the fresh air intake and exhaust out. Im also planning on leaving the fuel tank and fuel pump on the outside for ease of fill up for the diesel and no fumes on the inside. The fuel pump outside also for noise.

Rando

Explorer
What is the motivation for using diesel? Unless your truck is also diesel or you plan on using diesel for cooking (and hot water) it seems like added complexity for little benefit. Even the fancy diesel heaters (Webasto etc) tend to be less reliable than quality propane heaters, due to soot and increased complexity.

clydeps

you'll need to carry heating fuel,
Seems like a pita..
Not really. I put a heater in my slide-on - it's a Chinese Eberspacher clone that came with a 10 litre tank which I mounted at the rear. That lasts quite a long time. It puts out a massive amount of heat at full bore, when it throttles down to minimum it's barely audible so I'm pretty happy.

I'm sure a genuine Eberspacher would be better quality, but this was 1/10th the price and there are thousands of them in use in Australia with very few complaints that I could find.
2021-08-1510.49.244432708282746508179.jpg

2021-08-1510.51.196356837595524049428.jpg

clydeps

What is the motivation for using diesel?

My reasons were price, size (did not have much room to fit it) and the fact I could DIY. At least here in Oz any gas install needs to be done by a licensed gasfitter to be legal.

Vst

Not really. I put a heater in my slide-on - it's a Chinese Eberspacher clone that came with a 10 litre tank which I mounted at the rear. That lasts quite a long time. It puts out a massive amount of heat at full bore, when it throttles down to minimum it's barely audible so I'm pretty happy.

I'm sure a genuine Eberspacher would be better quality, but this was 1/10th the price and there are thousands of them in use in Australia with very few complaints that I could find.
View attachment 676415

View attachment 676416
Nice that’s what I’m looking to do. Same reason cost and diy at $150 bucks if it works well you can’t beat it. I would be mounting the tank and fuel pump outside no smell and hopefully little noise from the fuel pump. Also easier to fill up than propane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism