Do I buy a 4th gen 4runner or 5th?

JohnnyS

Explorer
I'm thinking about trading in my LJ Rubicon and getting a 4runner (UZJ100s are too expensive unless they have high miles).
I looked at a 5th gen the other day but it seemed somewhat cramped when I tried to lay down in the back.
Do the 4th gen have a longer cargo area? It is really important that I be able to sleep in the back without contorting myself (I'm about 5'10").
I drove a V6 4th gen for quite a while and really liked it, how much more juice does the V8 have?
All the new off road gizmos on the 5th gen are pretty cool though, as is 270 hp out of the V6.
Thanks for any input!

RU55ELL

Explorer
Do you want part time or full time 4wd? With the V8, it is full time. That was a deal-breaker for me.

Applejack

Explorer
I'm 6'1 and can sleep in a 3rd gen as long as my knees are slightly bent. A 4th gen is bigger so I'd guess at 5'10 you should be able to fit fine.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I have a 4th gen, I'm 6 foot and sleep in the back all the time. If you are going on an extended trip with only two people you can remove the back seat bottoms (as the fold up adjacently to the front seats) with 4 quick bolts, literally takes 2 minutes and the rear of the a fourth has a TON of room.

gearguywb

Explorer
The difference between the V6 and V8 is huge, IMHO. I have owned both (currently an '03 V8) and when shopping for this vehicle I would not look at a V6 equipped truck. For the 1-2 mpg difference it was worth it.

AlexJet

Explorer
The difference between the V6 and V8 is huge, IMHO. I have owned both (currently an '03 V8) and when shopping for this vehicle I would not look at a V6 equipped truck. For the 1-2 mpg difference it was worth it.

Drove both and liked V6 more, plus it has 2WD mode to save even more.
Owing V6 for 5 years and having 1500lbs of additional weight on the truck all the time (bumpers, skids, tires, equipment) never had a thought of the need for V8. Happy with V6 and this is awesome engine.

P.S. I'd go for 4th Gen as it has huge aftermarket support.

07 Elephant

Adventurer

The new V6 in the '10 runners has more hp than the '09 v8. You do loose some towing capacity though. 5000lbs vs. the 8's 7500. So the questions to the OP are do you tow? And do you plan to mod it? There is more support in the market right now for the 4th gen. We haven't seen much for the 5th. No bumper replacement for example. No sliders that have been tested...etc.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I'm looking at a 2004 V8 right now. It is certfied pre-owned and has just under 64K.
Already planning mods :smiley_drive:

GenPuller

I bought a 2003 V6 4Runner new. It is by far the best SUV I've ever driven. I've been in the auto industry for years and have driven everything -- well almost. I agree with AlexJet I couldn't feel much difference in the V6 vs the V8. The only thing I wish I would have done different is get 4x4.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
If you're going to tow, I think going V8 is wise. V6 is still no push-over, though, and will get the job done. But I drive through mountain passes here and at this altitude, every bit of the HP/TQ counts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven