Do you think 82" width is a too wide for an offroad trailer?

FN4PAPA

Ok, I screwed up.. should have probably used one of those fancy CAD programs to design the thing before I started cutting and welding but at this point I am kinda stuck with what I have... I originally thought I would skin it with 1/8 5 Bar aluminum step plate but then was told by a lot of folks that I needed some insulation. Because my slides slip over each other for a kinda of pop up or rather in my case a lift up shell, I can't put insulation on the inside of any skin I use, it has to slide neatly over the lower section. So I was going to use my Fiberglass pannels which add about 3.5" more to the width of the trailer vs the 1/8" Aluminum when all the slides & guides are considered. My 2022 Rubicon measures 78" from tip to tip of the outside mirrors, so this thing is going to be 3-4" wider than the Jeep, not what I wanted but its what I got... So am I going to have to extend my mirrors on the Jeep ????? That would really suck. Guess I will try it and see how it goes...

Attachments

• Width_1.jpg
    Width_1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Width_2.png
    Width_2.png
    950.8 KB · Views: 104
are you regularly going down trails where the Jeep mirrors need to be moved, or they get hit? If not, the added width might be a bummer for added drag and lower visibility, but 82" doesn't have to be a game changer. Might want to make sure it isn't going to limit you in some very functional way now though. You are pretty far in so I get that there is no desire to lose inches at this point. However, only thing worse would be adding significantly more hours and money to your build only to find that out at the end.

Teardropper

I really don't like the word, off-road. Does it mean off the pavement? On a county road? A USFS road that gets graded every five years? A BLM two-track? They are all roads.

So I guess, what road are you going to travel on?

QvlwI2v.jpg

For us, a 60" wide cabin will take us anywhere we want to go. 80" with the wheels. It depends on what you mean by off-road.

Tony

FN4PAPA

I do a lot of powerline/cellphone tower trails and a lot of desert canyon stuff... I guess it is what it is at this point...:-(

pith helmet

I would cut the sides off as one piece and move them in to the width you will be happier with.
This is a great looking build, though and I look forward to seeing it progress.

86scotty

Cynic
I would narrow it. My full size truck which has seen some trails it should not have is 80.2" I wouldn't want anything wider, but of course your question is entirely relative to where you want to take the trailer.

gatorgrizz27

Your width issue is significant IMO, primarily due to the fact that it is max width at the top of the shell. This means on any off camber passage between trees, etc, the top of your trailer will actually require more width than what it measures at the tires.

The trailer I’m currently building is 78” wide at the outside of the fenders, but getting them to slide around some trees isn’t a big deal as long as the opening is wide enough.

FN4PAPA

Thanks all, so what I have decided to do is use .063 Alum 5 Bar step plate for the lower skin. This would normally be too thin for a skin but I am going to set my fiberglass panels inside the frame members and use adhesive to attach to the .063. I am going to attach the both the 063 and the fiberglass panels to the frame members with screws so I will be able to remove any panel that gets damaged and replace it. I will post some more pics when I get a section done but this is going to hopefully get me back to about 80" total width... not ideal but better...

Attachments

• Test Skin 1.jpg
    Test Skin 1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 44
  • test skin 2.jpg
    test skin 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 43

billiebob

my school of design says the OVERLAND vehicle determines the width of the trailer.

On a Wrangler where the body tub is 60" wide... the trailer should be 60" wide.
A pickup... full size averages 72" wide so a trailer with a 72" body works.
A full size van at 84" wide says 84" is good to go.

Rear vision on the highway is a regulation thing. Today regulations obviously mean squat. Fenders are meant to cover the entire tire, mud flaps are regulated to extend to the axle centerline. Tail/Brake/Turn lites and license plates cannot be obscured...... Anyone notice those regs are never enforced????

So back to the mirror regulation..... anyone standing on the road 200' behind yer rig must be visible in both mirrors.... no one cares about yer design dilemnas, you just need to be legal....

Beyond the legalities if yer mirrors are too skinny you will look like an idiot if you ever need to back up. A lot of the regulations exist to make manufacturers build things that are DRIVEABLE....

Considering the legal question.... eventually the DOT/MOT guys will focus on an obvious cash cow.

IMG_1429.jpeg

Last edited:

billiebob

30 years ago I knew my YJ was 60" wide, I bought a 60" wide cargo trailer. Today my TJ is 60" wide and so is my trailer. I get to run factory mirrors and if doorless I run tubular doors with real skinny mirrors. Trailer design is like all design..... design it to suit the use.....

Personally in yer place I'd buy a pickup or sell the trailer.

Last edited:

FN4PAPA

Thanks all again... I think I am going to get it down to about 80"... still too wide but better...every inch counts now... I will take it out on some trails soon and will let you all know if 80" is too wide or if it is tolerable...

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77