Dodge Van Rear Locker

louie71

Observer
I have a dodge 2000 extended B3500. I would like to get a selectable rear locker installed and it appears with the Chrysler 9.25 axle this doesn't appear to be an option. Does anyone know of air or electric lockers that work with the Chrysler 9.25 axle?

It sounds like I can do an axle swap for a dana60 and can then get an ARB locker installed. I am a complete novice with the mechanics of all this, but would like to know if swapping out a factory axle with the dana will negatively affect van control issues such as sway or braking. I've been told by doing the axle swap the rear-anti lock brakes will no longer work. Is this correct?

Also, since the dodge is a unibody frame how might the added weight of a rear locker and air compressor effect the frame?

Love this site...wish I could answer more questions than I could ask.:)

louie71

Observer
Desert Dan - thanks for he pdf link. It looks like for the rear I will need a dana70 or dana80. For some reason I thought the shop I was speaking with told me I would need a dana60, but per the specs sheet you sent me that would be for the front.

What about getting something like this instead http://www.4wheelers.com/powertrax-no-slip-92-0392-3105-c-117-p-931.html.
I'm a little concerned about how the PowerTrax No-Slip locking differentials work since they just kick on as soon as traction begins to slip. I don't know the mechanics of the automatic lockers and don't want it to lock up when I'm driving 65 miles per hour down the highway in a rainstorm. Wouldn't have to do an axle swap and much cheaper than the ARB.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat