Does anyone know if you can mix Lead-acid batteries with Lithium Batteries ?

FN4PAPA

I bought a 100ah lead acid battery but need to add more power... that LA battery is really heavy so was thinking of adding a lithium ion battery but I think I read somewhere that you can't put them in parallel. Has anyone mixed the tow batteries together ?

Thanks

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Looked into this. There is for sure a way but it probably involves switching between the two banks for both charge and discharge phases. So I went with full lithium. 2 SOK 100ah heated bluetooth batteries. Very happy with them. Once you go there you'll never go back. Move those lead batteries to your trolling motor for their twilight years.

ITTOG

I bought a 100ah lead acid battery but need to add more power... that LA battery is really heavy so was thinking of adding a lithium ion battery but I think I read somewhere that you can't put them in parallel. Has anyone mixed the tow batteries together ?

Thanks
It is definitely not recommended. Their charging and discharge profiles are very different. It will decrease the life of the battery.

Reactions: plh

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Not worth the difficulties and downsides IMO. You'll end up damaging both batteries, and won't get the full benefits of them, either.

I would sell the lead acid and stick to purely lithium.

I ordered two LISUATELI 12v 100Ah LifePo4 batteries yesterday for the little trailer I'm building. $890 CAD shipped for 200ah of lithium is hard to beat.

FN4PAPA

Not worth the difficulties and downsides IMO. You'll end up damaging both batteries, and won't get the full benefits of them, either.

I ordered two LISUATELI 12v 100Ah LifePo4 batteries yesterday for the little trailer I'm building. $890 CAD shipped for 200ah of lithium is hard to beat.

That is a good price... and they only weigh 24lbs... SOLD... I am switching... Thanks all

Teardropper

That is cheap. I'd sure like to see a teardown video with that battery. I see some unboxing vids. (Some batteries that claim to have a low-temperature charging cutoff don't.) I see a comment in the one Lisuateli video that says the low temp cutoff works. (y)

Lithiums have definitely dipped to a reasonable price. I bought a Weize 50 amp lithium with the BMS bells and whistles for $200 that I use for a trolling motor battery in my boat.

Tony

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
That is cheap. I'd sure like to see a teardown video with that battery. I see some unboxing vids. (Some batteries that claim to have a low-temperature charging cutoff don't.) I see a comment in the one Lisuateli video that says the low temp cutoff works. (y)

Lithiums have definitely dipped to a reasonable price. I bought a Weize 50 amp lithium with the BMS bells and whistles for $200 that I use for a trolling motor battery in my boat.

Tony

Some of the reviews on that listing are fairly detailed, and quite positive. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Local prices for just 100ah of lithium range from $1180 CAD (in-house brand, likely also from China) to about $1500 CAD (somewhat-known brands), so at $890 CAD for 200ah, it seems like a risk worth taking. If I can get 5 years of steady use out of those batteries I'll be very happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp