don't give up on H2

haven

Expedition Leader
I hope GM doesn't give up on the Hummer H2. While everybody loves to hate the H2 (gas-guzzling poser-mobile, etc), the underlying hardware is pretty stout. If GM installs the new 4.5L diesel in the H2 in 2010 as originally planned, it will make an intriguing platform for a vehicle like this:

ratchet-1.jpg

ratchet-2.jpg

This vehicle was built to play the "Ratchet" character in the Transformers movie.

Oh well, if GM does pull the plug on the Hummer, you could use a Chevrolet Silverado as the starting point for a similar project. We should see the 4.5L V8 diesel in GM vehicles in about a year, sold as 2010 models.

Chip Haven

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Actually, if you took off the SAR / Emergency markings along with the red / white flashing lights, and took off that excessively big brush guard, that would indeed make a killer Expeditionary vehicle. I imagine there would be TONS of room ( ok, comparatively speaking.... ) in the cargo area.

It is a shame that is a one-off Hollywood creation.....

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Truck and suv sales are down and the profit margin on the remaining sales has disappeared. The H2 must die, if for nothing else, the image of said vehicle. It's the poster boy for GM excess and I don't see salvation in the H2's future.

eugene

Explorer
haven said:
I hope GM doesn't give up on the Hummer H2.v ... the underlying hardware is pretty stout.

Most off road forums I've seen anyone that has had an H2, or suburban/silverado 2500 says the underlying hardware is weak.

eugene

Explorer
02TahoeMD said:
Actually, if you took off the SAR / Emergency markings along with the red / white flashing lights, and took off that excessively big brush guard, that would indeed make a killer Expeditionary vehicle. I imagine there would be TONS of room ( ok, comparatively speaking.... ) in the cargo area.

It is a shame that is a one-off Hollywood creation.....

The rear bumper too, notice the body in the rear angles upward but then the bumper hangs way low.

haven

Expedition Leader
It looks like the bumpers were mounted low on purpose. At the moment, each state sets its own rules about bumper height.

Ron B

Explorer
eugene said:
Most off road forums I've seen anyone that has had an H2, or suburban/silverado 2500 says the underlying hardware is weak.

I think the major problems with h2's have been with the tie-rods. They are about the cheapest part on the truck and easily upgradeable. I'm not the biggest h2 fan, but they do wheel very well right off the showroom floor as well as being very comfy. You are right about it being the poster-boy for excess though.

rb

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Would be cool if they used them as workhorses, seems like with the right components they would be a good candidate.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
H2 production is already stopped except for special order, I believe.
H3 sales dropped huge. The entire brand may disappear or be sold off.

I think the Hummer brand may become a casualty of the huge market shift.
GM is scrambling to make the shift and there is a lot of collateral damage.

Jeep is the only profitable brand for Chrysler but otherwise all are in trouble w/ trucks & suv's.

Land Rover & Jaguar are already sold off to Tata in India.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Ron B said:
I think the major problems with h2's have been with the tie-rods. They are about the cheapest part on the truck and easily upgradeable.
rb

A friend of ours was out wheeling with his H2 last year, and in a remote canyon in central AZ, the shaft coming out of the bottom of the steering box sheared off. After talking about various tow rope options with the other drivers in their group, they decided it was best to just call GM Roadside Assistance. It took the towing company 10 hours to get it out, and cost $5800. I think GM covered everything.

Picture here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jessral...photo?authkey=TO_FGRCsCFs#5053480813963946898

Ron B

Explorer
James86004 said:
A friend of ours was out wheeling with his H2 last year, and in a remote canyon in central AZ, the shaft coming out of the bottom of the steering box sheared off. After talking about various tow rope options with the other drivers in their group, they decided it was best to just call GM Roadside Assistance. It took the towing company 10 hours to get it out, and cost $5800. I think GM covered everything.

ouch! never heard of that failing.

Guinness44

Adventurer
Never heard of that happen either. Wonder if its got anything to do with the nonstock tire/wheel setup (wrong offset), or just a bad part to start with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal