Dos Cabezas - Anza Borrego

TD64

Adventurer
When you answer the phone and the person on the other end says "let's go to Borrego!", well, what are you going to do?... Pack up, work a 1/2 day on Friday and hit it!

Jerry (1leg) and I left town around 2 pm last Friday and topped off our tanks in Ramona, CA. for $2.69 a gallon (not bad considering gas was $3.09 or more in Escondido, CA.). We worked our way down to Borrego, out to Mortero Wash and headed in to the Dos Cabezas camp site.

mortero_wash1.jpg

mortero_wash2.jpg

CGrailroad1.jpg

CGrailroad2.jpg

The sun was starting to set so we got busy setting up camp.

dos_cabezas_camp2.jpg

Once that was done we popped open a couple of beers and made dinner. Jerry got a fire going and we kicked back and chatted for a few hours.

TD64

Adventurer
Saturday was a beautiful day and we left camp to tour the area for a few hours.

dos_cabezas_trails1.jpg

dos_cabezas_trails2.jpg

dos_cabezas_trails3.jpg

dos_cabezas_trails4.jpg

We headed back to camp to get some lunch and hide from the sun as the temperature was around 100 degrees. We deployed my Elk 2M/440 Antenna and practiced aiming it to see if we could make some contacts. We were able to listen in on the Santa Rosa repeater but could not hit it with a 5 watt HT.

dos_cabezas_camp1.jpg

TD64

Adventurer
Once it started to cool down, I set off to scramble up the boulders next to camp and then hike up a canyon a few miles from camp. Jerry and I were able to keep in touch using our HTs.

dos_cabezas_camp3.jpg

dos_cabezas_camp4.jpg

Another nice dinner and fire side chat to close out the day.

dos_cabezas_camp5.jpg

Sunday morning we got ready to head home but our exit was blocked about a 1/2 mile from camp; one of our neighbor's rigs had broken down and they had left it on the trail. Jerry went to their camp and woke them up... Well, long story short, Jerry towed him back to his camp.

Now that the trail was cleared, we went out and ran a couple more trails before heading home.

Nothing like dropping everything and hitting Anza Borrego for the weekend! (Thanks for the call Jerry!)

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Nice! Mortero Wash was my favorite place in Borrego. That's about the only thing I miss about SoCal. I spent most of my Borrego time there. Sad to say but all of my pictures of that place were on the ex's computer. Needless to say, thanks for the photos!

TD64

Adventurer
7wt said:
Nice! Mortero Wash was my favorite place in Borrego. That's about the only thing I miss about SoCal. I spent most of my Borrego time there. Sad to say but all of my pictures of that place were on the ex's computer. Needless to say, thanks for the photos!

You are welcome. Bummer about your pictures.
icon9.gif

I really enjoyed climbing on the rocks behind our camp.

dos_cabezas_camp6.jpg

That was my first trip to Mortero Wash and I really enjoyed it. I see that you can hike from Mortero Palms out to the Goat Canyon Trestle, so, I plan on heading back once it cools off to do this hike!

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
TD64 said:
I see that you can hike from Mortero Palms out to the Goat Canyon Trestle, so, I plan on heading back once it cools off to do this hike!

You need to watch your route. Since the railroad is back in operation, they are enforcing "no trespassing" on the railroad right of way, & I understand patrolling it.

TD64

Adventurer
BorregoWrangler said:
That's a great area to explore, on foot as well as in your rig. Thanks for sharing!
I am glad that Jerry picked this area to camp and go off-roading and I am looking forward to getting back out there to do some more exploring.

awalter said:
You need to watch your route. Since the railroad is back in operation, they are enforcing "no trespassing" on the railroad right of way, & I understand patrolling it.
Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up.

I have ridden my bike along the tracks and through the tunnels a few years back and that was a lot of fun... Everything changes...

1leg said:
Great write up Tony.
Thanks.

So, did you get any good photos?

Miles

Observer
Cool Thread.

Jerry gets some points for helping tow a broken down rig. I don't think the Tread Lightly handbook covers how to wake your sleeping neighboors so they can clear the road. (How many people would have just driven around?) Great job.

I also dig the ham radio part. I'd like to try hitting some of the repeaters some time from Borrego.

portlandman

fond memories

TD64 What's up! This is a shout out from the great Pacific Northwest! Nothing like doing some 'wheeling in Borrego (unless you have your rig swept away in a flash flood). So you bought a Rubicon, very nice! We are doing well here in Stumptown, only thing we miss of SoCal is you and camping in Borrego. Doing lots of fly-fishing, have a new job that has me off on Tues-Thursday so we can camp and hike w/o the masses. Great thread, nice pics, let's talk,
Ervin

TD64

Adventurer
Miles said:
Cool Thread.

Jerry gets some points for helping tow a broken down rig. I don't think the Tread Lightly handbook covers how to wake your sleeping neighboors so they can clear the road. (How many people would have just driven around?) Great job.

I also dig the ham radio part. I'd like to try hitting some of the repeaters some time from Borrego.

Sadly, someone went around him and did some damage. :littlefriend:

It was fun trying to make contacts with our setup, we just needed more power! I am going to work on building up a more powerful portable transceiver that can be used for camping, emergencies and such.

TD64

Adventurer
portlandman said:
TD64 What's up! This is a shout out from the great Pacific Northwest! Nothing like doing some 'wheeling in Borrego (unless you have your rig swept away in a flash flood). So you bought a Rubicon, very nice! We are doing well here in Stumptown, only thing we miss of SoCal is you and camping in Borrego. Doing lots of fly-fishing, have a new job that has me off on Tues-Thursday so we can camp and hike w/o the masses. Great thread, nice pics, let's talk,
Ervin

Hey Ervin,

Welcome to the ExPo! Pull up a chair and stay awhile! (Here is a forum you should enjoy.)

Okay folks, when you answer the phone and your buddy says "let's go to Borrego!", check the weather forecast first! (If there is a chance of rain in the mountains, you might find yourself in a flash flood in the desert!)

So Erv, do you want to tell the story or should I? (I need to find the pictures and scan them.)

portlandman

stupidity

What story to tell; stupidity was the rule of the day! No pics needed, I already have low self-esteem, you'll make me have to do therapy on myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design