Drawer under truck bed?

Will I am

I was wondering if anyone has seen any kind of custom storage drawer under the truck bed where a spare would normally go? Any ideas on how to make that work would be very much appreciated.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Very smart idea. I think the only limiting factor is frame design. The bumper you can do whatever you want. But usually there's a chassis crossmember in the way.

Will I am

Not a great seal just enough to keep some tools in decent condition. And there is a cross member there, but it seems like I could take it out and replace it with some kind of frame that would go on the bottom of the chassis instead of the top.

irish_11

Explorer
Its been done, but not so much in the US: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/other-vehicle-discussion/511050-making-tacoma-lemonade.html

I saw a few flatbeds while in Australia that had drawer systems under their beds. Like others have said, the frame rails and bumper might limit the design, but there are options out there if you want to get creative. Its wasted space that could be used. I wish these beds and canopies were more popular in the US:
08-ute-top.gif

Will I am

Yes thank you, Irish_11, that is the picture that started my idea. I can see how they could easily do it with a flatbed. However I've never seen it done with a normal pickup bed. The bumper is the biggest issue. I'll post a picture of what I had in mind once I figure out how.

Will I am

Truck bumper.jpg

I was thinking of building a bumper similar to this one, but cut out the inside section where the drawer would go. I could weld a brace along the bottom of the bumper where the hitch receiver is in the picture. I'm not really sure if this is a good idea or not. Does anyone think this will work or have any other ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven