Econoline Question

backwoods

After retiring my old toyota expo rig to farm and hunting duty several years back, I am trying to get my family back on the road. I've been lurking here in the van section since then.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally scored a pristine 2009 E150 XLT Premium wagon to do a "weekender" project with. With factory leather quad captains chairs, she's a unicorn for sure in my area. It took me months to find one in my region and I drove four hours to buy it.

We finally got some cooler weather in my part of the South this week and I tried to turn on the overhead rear heat, but only cool air came out. The manual implies that heat should come out of the roof vents when set correctly and my memory of being in other Econolines makes me believe the same.

If I turn the temp to hot and set it on "Floor", it will almost roast you, so it's not a huge thing. It's just that I interpret the manual to mean that with the temp knob on heat, the mode set to "AC", and the rear fan on, that hot air should come out of the overhead vents.

Based on my understanding of the intended operation, and looking up parts, I am guessing that my rear duct flap or actuator has gone bad. The thing that has me baffled is that all the research that I've done shows that other people usually end up with the flap stuck in heater mode, as a default, rather than AC mode, when the thing breaks.

I'm ready to start with the mods, but this one small thing is in the back of my mind keeping me from thinking that I have completely "baselined" the vehicle. Hopefully I'll be back in a short while with my build thread.

Can anyone here with direct experience with an Econoline (with factory rear heat/AC) confirm the operation of the rear heat? I think that the setup is basically the same for at least a couple of decades back.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
With front controls on defrost can you get heat in the rear? with front controls on ac can you get heat in rear? These are mode switch tests and will isolate the flap if it's at fault

backwoods

With front controls on defrost can you get heat in the rear?

No

with front controls on ac can you get heat in rear? These are mode switch tests and will isolate the flap if it's at fault

No

I appreciate your input, but I was looking for input from an owner with factory rear air in regards to it's proper function, not help troubleshooting. It may be that I am mistaken and it works as designed. If it is not working as designed, it's no big deal to pull the trim and check the flap/test the actuator.

WUzombies

Adventurer
With front controls on defrost can you get heat in the rear? with front controls on ac can you get heat in rear? These are mode switch tests and will isolate the flap if it's at fault

I just saved this because I hadn't heard that test sequence before. I have factory rear air that currently works, but I expect to fix stuff like this at some point. Thank you!

backwoods

I just saved this because I hadn't heard that test sequence before. I have factory rear air that currently works, but I expect to fix stuff like this at some point. Thank you!

So, are you implying that you get heat from your overhead vents? The replies that I have gotten from other forums seem to imply that heat does not come from the overhead vents.

My floor vents, on the other hand, could make jerky.

WUzombies

Adventurer
So, are you implying that you get heat from your overhead vents? The replies that I have gotten from other forums seem to imply that heat does not come from the overhead vents.

My floor vents, on the other hand, could make jerky.

I haven't tried, although I thought about it with the last cold front dropping temperatures into the upper 80s. Just thanking the guy for the procedures for testing, as I figure I'll need to test it someday.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
On my 08' with rear hear/air. A/C comes out the top, heat from the bottom. I'm not aware of being able to run heat in front and A/C in back or vice versa. The rear only runs on recycled air AFAIK and is very efficient. It will cool or heat to uncomfortable levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh