Elephant hill

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I have seen several reports of a trailer on Elephant Hill, biggest issue is the tight turns but seems doable with caution.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Yes, several. My modified FJ40 'Trail Trailer' and Alia took his Kamparoo Weekender. The switchbacks on the backside of EH were not bad, in fact I often just drive them normally with a 3 pt turn to get lined up. SOB hill was likely a little harder for the length and width of Ali? We did drop our trailers as we descended into Dark Canyon (much further south of EH) as well as the option Impossible Hill at the south border or Canyonlands.

Romer

Adventurer
I would be more concerened about the front face going up where you go out to the ledge and back turning up to make the switchback turn. At least thats how us long 80 series wagons typically do that spot

attachment.php

These trucks are coming back down, but its to the left before the brown 80 makes the turn.

I would think the hardest thing about driving these trailers is when you have to back up a bit

SOB hill aint what it use to be

cruiseroutfit

I would be more concerened about the front face going up where you go out to the ledge and back turning up to make the switchback turn. At least thats how us long 80 series wagons typically do that spot

Neither of us really had much trouble there, pulled all the way in to the 'landing pad', nearly jack knifed it in reverse and then pulled on down. While my setup is pretty easy to maneuver, it can jackknife with zero damage and its got the same wheel base as my 40, Ali was towing the Kamparoo behind his 80 Series. I would say he was on the upper limits of what can be comfortably towed through there, bigger could do it but you risk damage.

His setup for reference:
100_0900 (Medium).JPG

...SOB hill aint what it use to be

Very true. It was tamed down in 05/06 but it isn't the really old ledges that made it difficult with a trailer, just the tight left turn followed by the tight right turn, we spend more time spotting trailers there as I recall. In fact we were in such a hurry to get over EH (needed gas at Outpost before heading up Lockhart) that we didn't even stop once up and over.

SOB Hill as of late:

IMG_3433 (Medium).jpg

IMG_3435 (Medium).jpg

Romer

Adventurer
Neither of us really had much trouble there, pulled all the way in to the 'landing pad', nearly jack knifed it in reverse and then pulled on down. While my setup is pretty easy to maneuver, it can jackknife with zero damage and its got the same wheel base as my 40, Ali was towing the Kamparoo behind his 80 Series. I would say he was on the upper limits of what can be comfortably towed through there, bigger could do it but you risk damage.

Kurt, Thinking about it, yopur probably righjt there is plenty of room to pull forward enough that you can back up even having it take a sharp angle. I haven't had the chance to take my new trailer out and know it was a pain to back it up. Just a smidge and it's going hard one direction.

Ali has a great 80 and he has done a great job with all the mods.

EH is one of my favorite runs and we love the hike up through the cave and ledges.

cruiseroutfit

...EH is one of my favorite runs and we love the hike up through the cave and ledges.

Absolutely one of my favorites. We came back through Elephant Hill from Beef Basin over Thanksgiving last month, not a soul in site, I don't think we passed a single vehicle or person from til we hit the parking lot at the base of EH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat