Excursion Trailer

wely

Observer
I have been a lurker around here for a while. I have subscribed to almost all of the home built trailer threads. Here is what I want to buld. I drive a 2000 4x4 excursion. I know it has the power to tow almost anything. What I want to build is a Trailer similar to some of the box trailers shown on her but I want to up size it to the with of an excursion. I'm Thinking I want the bed to be at least 6' wide and 10' long. Maybe a 5000 lbs. axle, colapsabe tounge. Any ideas?

Aggie

Adventurer
Then I would suggest a good starting point would be a Military M105 Trailer. They are rated at 1.5 tons and are about the right size for a big ol excursion...

Here is a stolen pic of one with a tent on it.

107-0757_IMG.JPG

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Or just scale up what I'm doing. It's 8 feet long and 7 feet wide, and would be easy to stretch it even longer.

wely

Observer
I have looked for a military trailer. I can't find one around here. I have seen them on line for as little as 600.00 in WV. That is a long way to drive to look at one though.

Aggie

Adventurer
I have looked for a military trailer. I can't find one around here. I have seen them on line for as little as 600.00 in WV. That is a long way to drive to look at one though.

Yeah you should be able to get 105's pretty cheap. They aren't exactly in high demand.

sseaman

Adventurer
The first question should be, do you want to modify, or build from scratch? You could modify a military trailer or a standard utility trailer. Utility trailers that size are usually build pretty strong, just change the springs and axle, and built your sides up.

wely

Observer
I have a 5' x 8' 2000 lbs. utility triler i was going to modify by flipping the axle and changing to a 3500 lbs. I was really excited about this idea but was shot down by one of my friend who told horror stories about how he has seen the trailers bent over the axle when loded with dirt. Could i possibly beef up the frame on this trailer since i already have it?

I will try to get pictures ths afternoon and post tonight.

sseaman

Adventurer
Are you planning on hauling dirt? Sounds like the trailer was loaded past its max rating. A utility trailer will be stronger after you add the additional support and cross members that most add when building up the sides.

My trailer started its life as a boat trailer, it was cheap to cut off and add what I wanted than to start from scratch.

But I also knew that building an AT look-a-like wasn't what I was going for either.

Good luck, as you start losing sleep over the multitude of ideas that will be running through your head.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
If you'll use a military trailer, use a M101, not an M105. The M105 is too large to be towed behind an Excursion. The M105 is a 1.5 ton trailer, it's designed to be towed behind a 2.5 ton truck. The M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer and would be safer behind an Excursion. You generally should try to keep the trailer lighter than the tow vehicle.

wely

Observer
Are you planning on hauling dirt? Sounds like the trailer was loaded past its max rating.

Yes I do want the trailer to haul some dirt maybe a fridge or washer & drier when needed.

My plan was to build the trailer as a box trailer or flatbed for general use around the house. also I have plans to build a mobile kitchen/Storage to be bolted on when I go camping.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If you'll use a military trailer, use a M101, not an M105. The M105 is too large to be towed behind an Excursion. The M105 is a 1.5 ton trailer, it's designed to be towed behind a 2.5 ton truck. The M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer and would be safer behind an Excursion. You generally should try to keep the trailer lighter than the tow vehicle.

Here we go...

And why would that be? The Excursion is designed to tow what, 10,000lbs?

Aggie

Adventurer
Here we go...

And why would that be? The Excursion is designed to tow what, 10,000lbs?

Not to mention I am sure the curb weight of 7,190 POUNDS is lighter than an M105... but an M101A1 would work just as well! I think they would both do fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup