Expo Hot Water System

85badger

Mike
I just completed my version of a camping shower and sink combo. I always want a shower after a long day of wheeling or exploring, one just before bed, to get the grit and camp fire smoke off of me. After looking into other options on the market, I decided to build my own custom unit that has multiple capabilities.

My design criteria was that it must have hot water, sink and multiple ways to draw water. I put pen to paper and drew up my idea. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and use proven components from the RV world. We had a popup camper that had the outdoor shower and hot water heater, so I started off with that in mind.

The idea was to get an Atwood 6 gal water heater, Shurflo pump, Outdoor Shower Kit and a stainless steel sink into a box that can be mounted on an off-road trailer tongue, rear swingout, side, just about anywhere you like to put it. I looked high and low for a premade metal box that would work but was disappointed to find out that they are usually $300 or more, I was also very concerned to be cutting large holes in it only to find out that my idea wouldn't work, so I called a buddy with my dimensions. He did a great job building the plywood box. The system can use water from a city water hook up, pull from the on-board water tank, pull from a jerry can and possibly a stream if close enough depending on the pump. The water heater is hooked up to an on-board propane tank and all plumbing parts are PEX fittings, stainless steel crimp rings and red and blue PEX tubing.

This started out as an idea to get my family more excited about camping, hopefully this will make it more enjoyable for everyone. I just completed it so no actual in the field test runs have been done at this time, however I'll start looking for an off-road trailer to mount it to and get to testing it. I also thought that I could make these for people. The sky is the limit with what you can do with these. The box can be made to fit your specific location with all of the components or just the ones you want. PM me if interested in getting one built for your application!

This has been a great learning experience and it's always fun to have an idea then build it. Enjoy!

6ebu9e3y.jpg

Completed Box

y4a5e5u9.jpg

Fitting the RV Cargo Door

y5ydezen.jpg

Testing on the floor prior to final installation in the box.

egyva4ez.jpg

Atwood 6 Gallon Hot Water Heater test fitting

7u5u7yje.jpg

Test fitting the Shower Kit, City Water Hookup and Jerry can hookup.

na3uvaha.jpg

Sink Evacuation Flange

4y9yra8e.jpg

Fitting sink and faucet

gubevunu.jpg

Testing all systems. Top hose hookup is the city water, middle is the jerry can hookup and the lower is the sink drain

rana3ahe.jpg

Finally…Hot Water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phoenix

Adventurer
That is awesome. My only concern is that the faucet is going to get snapped off in transit. I see the need for the tall good neck, just looking at it from "where I'm going to put this while traveling?"

All in all, that box is chock full of win. I'll be stealing most of this.

85badger

Mike
Good eye! Yes, 1977, my wife's high school car. Didn't look this good though.

85badger

Mike
buta3u2y.jpg

Here is a pic of the neck removed. I'll find a cap to screw to the faucet, so mud and debris don't clog it up.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Where is the propane hook up? I was thinking rotating the sink so not facing all the fittings while using the sink. This is very impressive, so perfect.

85badger

Mike
It is under the box, this box will eventually be mounted on the tongue of a trailer (not yet acquired). Hard mounted and plumbed. I envision a frame brace being in the way so I turned the sink to the side but it definitely could be rotated 90*.

85badger

Mike
Typically, I will only have the lower sink drain attached as I plan on using an onboard water tank which will pull from the bottom of the box, so the City Water (top) and the Jerry Can/Stream (middle) won't be used at the same time. Additionally a 90* fitting on the hose to make it go straight down to the ground would be good.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That is awesome. My only concern is that the faucet is going to get snapped off in transit. I see the need for the tall good neck, just looking at it from "where I'm going to put this while traveling?"

All in all, that box is chock full of win. I'll be stealing most of this.

Agreed, this is a great looking box. The perfect faucet solution that I've found is this one -

http://www.dwincorp.com/products/89/The-FLEXSPOUT
IMG_0139.JPG

My faucet has a quick disconnect where the neck is, and this clips right in (just like an air hose or whatever).

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
That faucet is very nice. That company has some nice options that could be incorporated into this box design! Thanks!

I saw these in use on a camper at a show and thought "that's cool, I need me some of that" - have not been disappointed. I bought mine off of ebay. I actually like it enough that I'm considering converting my utility sink at home over to use the flex-spout stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven