Expo trailer kitchen idea thread...

toymaster

Explorer
Would anyone like to share ideas and/or pics of their kitchen set-up?

I'm going to build a rear swing-away kitchen box on my military style trailer and would like some ideas before I start my design. The trailer already has removable a table that bolts to the fender but space is always at a premium. I figure a swing-a-round kitchen box will do nicely along with the soon to be acquired hannible awning.

The exterior kitchen and pantry space will save room inside of the tub and also will do nicely as a bear-proof box. If a bear did try to get into the trailer tub while i am not in camp it may make for a good story and add character to the trailer but the damage would be more easily repairable if needed on an exterior kitchen box.

Just off the top of my head having the stove on the top shelf with sliders and the lower portion divided into storage area for food, spices, plates, and utensils sounds like a good start. Having the lid hinged downward for more counter space seems wise also. I'm not sure on the best size box to use.

FredB

Observer
Here's one that I made out of plywood. It's pretty heavy when loaded. The top flips over and there is a removable brace that allows the top to be used as a counter. I made a pull out to hold a seperate burner for the coffee maker. It pulls out of the M416 on an industrial bearing slide.

100_4175.jpg

Ozarker

Building your own? Can a tool box fit on top and lower off the back end, using two arms on both sides, the kitchen would be level in both the up and down position. With a little musel you could pick it up from one mounted position vertically and slide it on to a rear position. If you used box tubbing under the platform you could slip it into the trailer hitch when you go for tailgating without the trailler too. I think I'd also mount legs on the side with adjustable legs to set it anywhere in the camp too. I like versiltility. Seems by using some pipe or box tubbing located at different places on the table would give you options to hook it on the trailer with different attachments and different positions.

I bet there are tons of pics, but what do you have to put in you kitchen? Is it all in good shape worth building around? I have a coleman stove but have know idea how old it is now, a newer on wouldn't hurt and wonder what the stockish demensions would be for a replacement stove. I also have used Army ammo cans and melmac cans, that should be bear proof.

Whatever you do, I think it's important to have access to the kitchen from the inside of your tentage or shelter. When you get winds with blowing dust, hard rains and snow blowing sideways, it's nice to stay inside and be able to fix a hot meal, I get hungry in all kinds of weather! What kind of shelter do you have in mind?

navigator

Adventurer
when I read the first post, I was thinking of something that mounted in a rear receiver hitch off the back of the trailer that you could remove and also possibly put on a vehicle for other purposes when the trailer wasn't needed.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
What ever you build, ask the wife/girlfriend her ideas. They are pretty smart cookies and have an ability to lay things out like they should be, not how we think they should be. Makes it easier if she has her ideas used, and she cooks more. I let my wife design my kitchen in the trailer and she loves it. I designed the one in the box trailer and she literaly hated it.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworhty
Off Road Tear Drop made.

toymaster

Explorer
........... When you get winds with blowing dust, hard rains and snow blowing sideways, it's nice to stay inside and be able to fix a hot meal, I get hungry in all kinds of weather! What kind of shelter do you have in mind?

I'm in the group-buy for the Hannibal awnings. I really do not go family camping in inclemate weather. If it is just me I have my light weight backpacking gear.

when I read the first post, I was thinking of something that mounted in a rear receiver hitch off the back of the trailer that you could remove and also possibly put on a vehicle for other purposes when the trailer wasn't needed.

A receiver set-up would be the simplest however, I want a mechanism so it can be swung around near the existing table to form a 'kitchen'. Also, I am debating having a spare tire mount. I really do not have room for both on there at once because the trailer is small. I like utility so I may get creative with the carrier so I can mount either one to fit the needs of the journey

Unless of the course, the builder happens to be a chef, and does most of the cooking. :)
Exactly, I am the camp cook :chef:

This thread was meant for all kinds of kitchens attached to expo trailers. The other "camp kitchen thread" is mostly portable boxes. Let me explain my plans a bit further just to clarify. Notice the shelf/table and stove. The fridge is inside of the trailer just behind where the stove is now. Pics are worth a thousand words....

IMG-20120713-00037-M.jpg

Here is one offered by our friendly local Adventure Trailer manufacturer...
chaserkitchen2.jpg

This shows the concept but I want a different style carrier and I do not want to use propane. My duel fuel Coleman works ok. On a side note, I've thought about constructing my own stove since the second burner of the Coleman seems to have less flame and I have not found any high end stoves that use multi-fuel burners; lightweight single burner units yes but no dual burner in a large frame.

I'm really asking how people have their boxes organized and the contents. When what all goes inside of the box is known I'll know what size is needed, within the limits of the trailer size of course. It's a little bouncy on back of the trailer giving need for compartmentalization and padding. As stated prior, the box needs to be bear proof. The concept is to have as much smelly stuff as possible in the box rather than in the trailer tub. The alternative is to match the box with the trailer then just stuff what I can inside of it. Most people like showing off their do-dads; most of us that use expo trailers tend to get a littel crazy about them. I think mine is the best thing since sliced bread. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3