Extended Range Gas Tanks: 26 and 28 Gallons

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
http://www.aerotanks.com/veh/jeep.htm

Aerotank 26 gallon tank price is $489 with skid. I have no experience with these but am going to look into them.

I am wondering if their 28 gallon tank ($400 no skid) that says a decrease in 3/4" to 1-1/2" of clearance is because they use a stock skid on a jeep with no BL and use spacers on the OEM skid. That would means if you have a BL you could run the 28 gallon tank with no decrease in clearance and then get a kilby skid. This is still cheaper than Genright or Currie. OF course the 28 is for 1997 to 03 but I'm sure there is some sort of adapter ring.

I will send them an email and see what they say.

The other choices:

Currie: $1500 http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1034

Genright: $900 http://www.4x4rockshop.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=11038

Ga Yota 4x4

Thanks for the info. How many gallons on a stock jeep? Extra range is always a good thing. Think there would be any sagging with a Wranger considering the extra weight in the rear?

I saw a 55 gal replacement for my F-250 that pushes me over the 1000 mile range without having to put an another tank in the bed.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Normal tank on a 2006 is 19.4 gallons. So the prospect of 8.6 more gallons under the rig is a nice idea. Of course not as cheap as Gerry Cans but much more appealing.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I would be somewhat concerned about the wieght as well. My unlimited had a 1" bl and springs on the rear for a hard top, which is just taking up space now. whats gas??? 6 pounds a gallon ?? I might not see any sag thats noticable. what about recalibration of guage?( The FEED ME Light)

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Here is what I know about the genright from the rubiconownersforum:

"The fuel gauge is a linear potentionmeter, it just measures resistance along an arc. It looks like they maintained the same height, just got ride of the rounded corners. Fuel gauge should read normally."

So I'm guessing that with the Aerotank the gauge would work normally but only take longer to say empty or there would be more gas left when it says empty.

My stock setup beeps at me and says empty when I still have about 6 gallons left.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Darn not one for the Libby...I'm running stock 20.5 gal but looking to add two 5 gal jerry cans to the rear end soon, once I finish fabbing up my custom tailgate holder...

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Didn't see anything listed for the Libby but perhaps could look into a custom tank possibly....Thanks for the link and Happy Birthday!!

SeaRubi

Explorer
sweet thread :tent: I've been eyeing the genrights but they are so spendy -

right now I've got about 200mi range in the safe zone, maybe ~230 on highway in the red, or down to ~150mi / tank off-road. Not good! :yikes:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The range is what is a killer. I would take any weight penalty to increase the range. I would like not only a bigger main but an aux tank the filled the space between the frame rail and the drive shaft.

If I have to run airbags....then so be it.

But running 50 gallons or more would be sweet.

crawldit

Adventurer
I love the idea. I hate that fact that I have a 19 gallon tank and I've never filled up more that 16 gallons. And the only reason that it filled 16 is because I ran it for 80 miles after the gas light came on. I would definitely love to have almost 400 miles to a tank of gas.

Dave Bandel

Guys,

Nice forum. second post, but I have the Aero 26 gallon on my TJ so I thought I'd chime in.

Several years ago I did a 5.2L V8 swap to the TJ, and that with 4.10 gears and 35"s I'm getting about 13-15 mpg. Needless to say, the stock 15 gallon tank wasn't cutting it for any amount of range. I lucked into a deal on a used Aero out of a wreck for $50. I ended up trading it for a pair of Tevas sandles. :wings:

Anyway, the tank's mounting brackets where bent and broken from the Jeep it was originally in having been rear-ended. I fabbed and welded on new mounting tabs (filled the tank with water first!) and it was good to go.

About the gas guage - due to the different mounting location (depth) of the entire pump assembly, I'll now drive about 90-110 miles before the guage moves off from the "more than full" position. I usually go about 270 miles until the "low fuel" warning light comes on, but at that point there is still about 6.5 or 7 gallons of fuel left, which is a nice reserve of 60-80 miles until dry. I did run it dry once (got too used to the low fuel light being on) and got about 360 miles on the tank. I now refuel when the light comes on. :oops:

Build quality of the tank is very stout. It does hang dowm about 2.5" more than the stock one did with a Kilby style skidplate, but with 35" tires and the integral skid I haven't noticed it hitting anything more often than when it was the old tank and 33"s. Highly recommended if you need the additional range.

-David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven