FG / cab over air seats

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Any suggestions for an air seat that will work in the confined quarters of the FG cab?

The cab measures 46.5 from seat base to cab roof.

To give you an idea of the clearances, here's a shot of the Mitsu/Fuso accessory "suspension seat" in ELF's FG:
ev_suspension_seats.jpg

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
You might want to check local dealerships or truck repair places and get a OEM set.

This will be one mod you will be one you will be glad you did!

kevin

Observer
Some Mitsubishi Monteros and Raiders (sold under the Dodge name) have factory suspension seats. They are quite comfortable. They also bolt to a flat floor, similar to the Fuso, so they look easy to adapt.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
> Solved <

I found seats that will work in the Mitsubishi Fuso F series trucks. They would also be applicable to any other cab that has tight quarters.

We've had them for a few weeks but I didn't want to post anything until we had them installed and were sure they would work.

Dimensions of the stock FG seats are at:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/docs/FG-stock-seat.pdf

The seats that work are the United Group - National Seating - Sportster 00452.

They are available in leather or cloth.

Options include:
- arm rest
- heaters

The web page for the seats is:
http://www.industrialseats.com/product.asp?pID=224&pgrID=74&categoryID=23

The drawings & dimensions for the seats is at:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/docs/sportster-specs.pdf

Our seat order is at:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/docs/FG-seat-order.pdf

Please keep in mind when you order that the FG does not appear on the application list for this seat. To make things easier on the sales rep and on you, choose a vehicle that this seat is normally used in. We arbitrarily picked "Ford 1999 and up" and everything fit fine.

We did not use the cab floor to seat base brackets included in that kit, but everything else works great with a few spacers/bushings.

Comparison photos of the stock seat vs. the Sportster 00452 as well as in-progress installation are in Album Seven at:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/index-buildup-photos.htm

image032.jpg

image035.jpg

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Both seats installed. There is no air in the bladders in this shot. The seats are resting down on their shocks.

image030.jpg

Driver's seat mounting bushings:
image031.jpg

FusoFG

Adventurer
dhackney said:
To give you an idea of the clearances, here's a shot of the Mitsu/Fuso accessory "suspension seat" in ELF's FG:
ev_suspension_seats.jpg

Is the passenger "suspension seat" a standard item? My Fuso came with a suspension seat on the driver's side only. The passenger side is a 2 person bench with the fold down clip board.

Or is that a drivers side seat that was mounted on the passenger side after removing the passenger bench?

Did you have a driver's suspension seat on your Fuso before you installed the air seats?

If so, is it for sale?

Tom

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Tom,

The suspension seat is on Don & Kim Green's FG.

It is a driver's suspension seat mounted on the passenger side.

Our 2007 FG did not come with suspension seats.

Our 2007 stock, non-suspension seats will be for sale at some point but I don't have the bandwidth to deal with the transaction right now.

I couldn't find any stock suspension seat options available for the newr F series cab. Mitsubishi might have some of the previous model's suspension seats left in the warehouse.

Doug

mwoods

Air seats: Leather or Cloth?

All, I am about to order a set of air seats for my 07 Fuso and would like to get your input on the question " Leather or cloth?" for an expedition vehicle heading for South America,
  • What are the pro's/cons's for leather seats?
  • What are the pro's/cons for cloth seats?

Thanks for your input.

LIVEABOARD

Adventurer
leather hot in summer cold in winter specially if u wear shorts
ever notice 90 % of all vehicles including very high end in europe have fabric hold up better etc my 2cents

haven

Expedition Leader
leather = tasty

Another reason to avoid leather is that the aroma of leather seats is attractive to wild animals. A friend installed new leather in her Honda. A few weeks later at her summer place in the interior of British Columbia, a black bear proceeded to break in the back window, climb in, and tear up the seats looking for the source of the yummy smell.

It took a little convincing to get the insurance company to cover the damage!

Chip Haven

mwoods

LIVEABOARD said:
leather hot in summer cold in winter specially if u wear shorts
ever notice 90 % of all vehicles including very high end in europe have fabric hold up better etc my 2cents

Good points--thanks! I would have thought leather would hold up better (thicker, harder to puncture), but I guess the fabrics today are made tough and highly breathable.

haven said:
Another reason to avoid leather is that the aroma of leather seats is attractive to wild animals. A friend installed new leather in her Honda. A few weeks later at her summer place in the interior of British Columbia, a black bear proceeded to break in the back window, climb in, and tear up the seats looking for the source of the yummy smell.

It took a little convincing to get the insurance company to cover the damage!

Chip Haven

I've seen elephants in Botswana pushing rigs over to get to an open cooler (which could have been prevented), but a bear going after leather seats would be hard to see coming and/or prepare against! Thanks for sharing.

Assuming a person could avoid having their seats eaten by a bear, how does the cleanability ( just wipe them down) come into your thinking?

mwoods

air compressor location

Gold Boy said:
i'm curious, where is the air compressor located?

thanks

I plan to install them in 4-6 weeks, so I can't say for sure at this time.

I checked out Doug Hackney's site and couldn't find any clues. Perhaps Doug can shed some light on your question. Doug, where'd you end up putting the air compressor for your air suspension seats ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach