Fiberglass animal control box?

hidefxj

Observer
I have the opportunity to get a fiberglass animal control body that was on a pickup.
Does anyone think it will still have a smell after years of non use?
I will attempt to upload a pic

sqImjzl.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I would let your nose do the deciding.
Being fiberglass it should have been water proof and not absorbed the smells.
If it passes the sniff test bring it home and give it a good scrub down and you'll be good.

I hate smells! I passed up a great deal on a truck because it was owned by a smoker.

hidefxj

Observer
I would let your nose do the deciding.
Being fiberglass it should have been water proof and not absorbed the smells.
If it passes the sniff test bring it home and give it a good scrub down and you'll be good.

I hate smells! I passed up a great deal on a truck because it was owned by a smoker.

Definitely sound advice. I havn't been able to get in touch with the owner yet so it may be a moot point but I just wanted to know what others would have to say about the fiberglass and if it's absorbant.

dsk65

Definitely sound advice. I havn't been able to get in touch with the owner yet so it may be a moot point but I just wanted to know what others would have to say about the fiberglass and if it's absorbant.

I would hope the thing DOES smell... it would drive the price down a lot. Once home, I would clean and scrub it with Tri-sodium Phosphate and rinse thoroughly. After that, I might use some sort of dedicated pet odor cleaner, steam clean it, pressure wash it at the quarter car wash, etc.

If it STILL smelled, I would break out a small paint roller and coat the insides with either a fresh coat truck bedliner or even gelcoat. Either one should seal in the odor.

All that work just depends on how cheap you can get it.

hidefxj

Observer
I would hope the thing DOES smell... it would drive the price down a lot. Once home, I would clean and scrub it with Tri-sodium Phosphate and rinse thoroughly. After that, I might use some sort of dedicated pet odor cleaner, steam clean it, pressure wash it at the quarter car wash, etc.

If it STILL smelled, I would break out a small paint roller and coat the insides with either a fresh coat truck bedliner or even gelcoat. Either one should seal in the odor.

All that work just depends on how cheap you can get it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure I could handle the new gelcoat application, I will need to look up the process onine.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Check the floor, be sure that if there are cracks, and it is in plywood, you seal it. I totally agree with Mark on the smell part. Parked in the hot sun for a few days, things get pretty ripe. But if you can get it and it does not smell, the options are endless. These things were not cheap when made. A lot of design work goes into them normally. Clean it sounds quite interesting.. But you will need a good solid frame for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal