First Mods

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Hello fellow expeditioners..... not sure if that is a word....

Today I did my first modifications to my already nicely modified 97 Discovery (sory, cannot call it a disco... I am scarred from the 1970's)

I added the Columbia Overland gas tank skid. Easy installation, great instructions online and a "scuffed stock" sale to beat... Great guys to work with. I also took the opportunity to remove the rear step and the rear anti sway bar. I'll evaluate the onroad performance change with the bar removed.

I hate to admit it, but, just as with my jeeps, I love wrenching on a vehicle, where I can use a BFH and a crowbar to get thins together.

Next is diff skid... looking for the right option for a non welder
John

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Well done John. The weld ons are a bit cheaper- cost, and just as good for the diff. However, the bolt on type give extended protection typically for the pinion, and bottom of the diff, but cost 2-3x as much. I have some bolt ons if you go that route. Cheers, and hope to see you at Uwharrie in Oct, if not before!!

fishEH

Explorer
I like my QT diff guards. The rear offers good protection for the pinion in a skid like ramp.
I have a Defender TD5 QT diff guard on my front. It is a full wrap around bolt on guard. It also runs under the track rod offering protection for it. I got it from Justin at Lucky 8.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Well done John. The weld ons are a bit cheaper- cost, and just as good for the diff. However, the bolt on type give extended protection typically for the pinion, and bottom of the diff, but cost 2-3x as much. I have some bolt ons if you go that route. Cheers, and hope to see you at Uwharrie in Oct, if not before!!

Dale if you have a couple bolt ons, shoot me a PM with some pricing. I saw several different styles and am just pondering as I wait for the funds to build up.

I just posted that we are all set to head to Uhwarrie in Oct. My son and I are planning to find another Sat or Sunday before then to try out the rover and his jeep, let me know of your availability and we'll try to get together.

John

Last edited:

jgdisco2

Adventurer
I just posted that we are all set to head to Uhwarrie in Oct. My son and I are planning to find another Sat or Sunday before then to try out the rover and his jeep, let me know of your availability and we'll try to get together.

John

Let me know when y'all are going, I wanna try to make a prerun as well

jgdisco2

Adventurer
How about not this weekend, but next, that is, either Saturday Sept 24 or Sunday Sept 25?

I am thankfully, not scheduled for anything at the moment...

John

I'm no good for that weekend, we have a big tournament at the course I work at and I won't be able to get out of that... I'm off almost every Monday though( I know that's a random day and tough for most but gotta love golf course hrs)

bribassguy

Observer
If you guys pre-run on a weekend let me know. I am from Columbia, SC but may try to make it up.

Looks like we're not going to make it to SOLARS so I got to get my wheeling fix in somehow.

BCM

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I too would prefer a Mon, but cannot the 26th or any that week, sorry. Will that work for you John?

I can usually get off any day that I need to with some notice. Name a Monday and I'll be there.

As it turns out I am tied up on Sunday the 25th with work anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77