Fl Keys Trip

angler561

Hey all, I am new to this forum. Wanted to get some advice on the trip I want to take. I have a month between final exams and my summer job and I want to take a 3-5 day kayak trip in the keys. I've never done a multi-day trip so I need some advice. Heres the general idea of my plan: put in in Key Largo by Pennekamp (there because my family has a house there to park my truck at) then pretty much just kayak south and do some leisurely fishing along the way (planning on staying on the west side of the keys.) At night just stop at a small island and string up a small hammock (is that legal?). For food I was justing planning on taking jerky, dehydrated fruit, trail mix, and power bars (and eating whatever we catch.)

My whole premise is relaxation; I just want to take a leisurely pace and fish and snorkel along the way. My questions:

1. Would I get in trouble for stringing a hammock on some outlying island?
2. Any suggestions as far as packing water?
3. Any suggestions overall?

Thanks guys.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
Don't forget the bug repellent :)

I'd say you're going to need some nautical charts and a good GPS.

A lot of the islands on the Florida Bay side of the Keys that you see on the charts will be nothing more than dense mangrove trees suspended over wet mud.

Finding a place to boondock is going to be very hard in the upper keys because it's so developed. The middle keys and lower keys will be a bit easier, but it won't be easy to find a dry spot that you can just pull up to and camp.

You'll also have some areas of fairly open water, for instance the seven mile bridge.

Good luck, sounds like an adventure, for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk