Flat sleeping platform using fridge/storage cases

RobertD

A few months back I ran across a great deal on a 6 month old Norcold MRFT60(Engel) Fridge/Freezer on CL. I plan on sleeping inside the GX470 when on a trip and in order to use this fridge which is 17" tall I figured thats going to have to be the max height I can go for the sleeping platform. It seems sturdy enough to hold up a 31"x21" corner area of a mattress and the weight of me sitting on it. This has led me to searching out other storage cases with flat tops to fill out the rest of the rear part of the sleeping platform.

Has anyone else used storage cases as the platform for a mattress?

Right now so far I think I have narrowed it down to the Pelican 1630 case to go next to the fridge. Its about the same exact measurements, except a little wider which helps create more width in the platform. I will probably get smaller storage cases to fill in the smaller side areas over the rear wheel and other areas and make those area level as well.

I'm also looking at the Frontrunner Behind the rear seat water tank. It seems like it would fit good behind the rear seat and in front of the fridge/1630 case. Has anyone seen other behind the seat water tanks. I'd like it to be 17" tall as well.

Still working out the rest of the area when the seats are folded flat to bring it up to around 17".

SmoothLC

Explorer
OregonLC has a couple pictures of two of the FrontRunner water tanks in his 100 series in his build thread.

uploadfromtaptalk1430615388950-png.1070904

uploadfromtaptalk1430615410327-png.1070907

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat