Flat tow a Pinzgauer?

docscurlock

Has anyone ever flat towed a pinzgauer? I saw a picture of one the other day with a tow bar on the front bumper. I am not too familiar with the drivetrain but have always wanted one. Would be towing with a Ram diesel 3/4 ton.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Not really advisable - it has been done but there is way too much spinning parts that cost serious money to risk doing it - there would still be 7 gearboxes spinning even with the t-case in neutral (counting the two diffs and the four portal boxes). Far better to have a trailer - it will also come in handy if anything serious happened to the rig when you were wheeling it. I would also be concerned with gearbox temps and oil seals going bad. Also - you should have a way to actuate the trailing vehicles brakes while towing - which is not simple to do with the pingauer's design.

There are several threads about flat towing on the Real4x4 forum (the best site in the US for Pinz owners):

www.real4x4.com

docscurlock

Thanks for the info, I will stay away from the flat tow. Was thinking it would make a nice 4 wheel rig and camper in one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal