FlipPac roof top load.

bcbmedic

I know others have asked the question, but i am still not clear on the correct answer. I am interested in getting a flippac and would like to mount a set of yakima or thule rails to the flippac to carry kayaks or a canoe. I know that this means unloading the boats every night, but i will not be carrying them all the time. Will the load be too much for the flippac to carry (150lb max). It is my understanding that the limited carry weight on the flippac is related to the strength of the hinge mechanism and the potential for opening the flippac with a load on the roof. I will not be opening it with a load. So, can i carry kayaks or a canoe on a flippac?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Brian Bates
New to Expo Portal

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Brian

Any additional weight on the roof section of the FlipPac is not recommended. In fact doing so revokes the warranty.

The reason for this is that the torsion bar is set fro the weight of the roof itself. I know a track and or towers don't seem that much to add but when it's multiplied by the distance from the fulcrum it multiples the weight considerably.

The only alternative is to attach the rack to the vertical walls of the FlipPac and use long towers to clear the roof.

Thule has a nice fast disconnect system that would work well for this application.

Frostymug

Observer
Brian,

I recently purchased a FlipPac with the intent to carry a 75 pound canoe utilizing the Yakima track system attached to the roof.

During manufacture, FRP imbedded two plywood strips within the roof. The wood strips run the length of the roof and are positioned to sit under each track. The wood is needed to keep the through-bolts, which attach the track, from crushing the cored roof and to help spread the load.

I elected to use the Yakima track system because its very secure and the rack can be detached in seconds without tools. (Note: Yakima track is available in 72” lengths)

If you are planning to carry heavier items then a rack attached to the sides of the FlipPac might be a better option. It will be stronger, specially if its mounted at or near the corners. However, there are some issues with attaching racks to the side. Most side mounted rack towers are harder to attach and remove and take more time to do so than the Yakima track system. The side mounted racks also need to be removed in order to deploy the FlipPac while the track system racks (load removed of course) possibly can stay in place? The track system also allows for rack spacing adjustment.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to actually mount the tracks to the FlipPac so I can’t provide any real world experience. It won’t be until mid April when I can tackle this project and provide feedback.

Cliff

Martyn

Brian,

I recently purchased a FlipPac with the intent to carry a 75 pound canoe utilizing the Yakima track system attached to the roof.

During manufacture, FRP imbedded two plywood strips within the roof. The wood strips run the length of the roof and are positioned to sit under each track. The wood is needed to keep the through-bolts, which attach the track, from crushing the cored roof and to help spread the load.

I elected to use the Yakima track system because its very secure and the rack can be detached in seconds without tools. (Note: Yakima track is available in 72” lengths)

If you are planning to carry heavier items then a rack attached to the sides of the FlipPac might be a better option. It will be stronger, specially if its mounted at or near the corners. However, there are some issues with attaching racks to the side. Most side mounted rack towers are harder to attach and remove and take more time to do so than the Yakima track system. The side mounted racks also need to be removed in order to deploy the FlipPac while the track system racks (load removed of course) possibly can stay in place? The track system also allows for rack spacing adjustment.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to actually mount the tracks to the FlipPac so I can’t provide any real world experience. It won’t be until mid April when I can tackle this project and provide feedback.

Cliff

Cliff

FRP has been very specific that any additional weight added to the roof, including a track system, will void the warranty of the shell.

Frostymug

Observer
Cliff

FRP has been very specific that any additional weight added to the roof, including a track system, will void the warranty of the shell.

Martyn,

Thanks for your concern. I can assure you that my FlipPac is covered by the FRP warranty.

I went to FRP and explained that I wanted to carry a canoe on the roof. I provided them with the Yakima rack specifications, the weight of the canoe, and the idea to install plywood strips in the roof. FRP was very accommodating in providing a solution.

Cliff

Frostymug

Observer
FYI - The total weight of the Yakima track system as I have it configured is 6.25 pounds. This includes two 72” tracks with end caps, four landing pads, all mounting hardware, and the imbedded plywood reinforcement.

Cliff

bcbmedic

Frostymug,

Thanks for the input it seems like mounting tracks with quick release feet might be the way to go with the intent of removing the racks before opening the flip-pac. Although I'm not sure I want to go to the extent of have a custom fabricated flip-pac (plywood install).

More to think about......

Brian

suntinez

Explorer
I might be in trouble then.

flippacload.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
I use a portable Mr Buddy heater when camping in the cold, takes the edge off before going to sleep. My sleeping bag keeps me nice and toasty when I'm in it.

I often wonder what would happen if this much snow were to fall on it with the tent deployed. Hard to believe the whole thing wouldn't collapse. The most I've ever had was 4-6" in a surprise storm, didn't put the rainfly on and spent quite a bit of time clearing it off before flipping closed in the AM.

If I were expecting this much snow, I'd just sleep with the tent closed.

Martyn

I might be in trouble then.

flippacload.jpg

There is no problem with a load directly on the shell. The issue of load comes when you rotate the shell open, and the additional forces it applies to the hinge and torsion bar.

Martyn

Martyn,

Thanks for your concern. I can assure you that my FlipPac is covered by the FRP warranty.

I went to FRP and explained that I wanted to carry a canoe on the roof. I provided them with the Yakima rack specifications, the weight of the canoe, and the idea to install plywood strips in the roof. FRP was very accommodating in providing a solution.

Cliff

That is reassuring Cliff. But the crux of the matter is that in making the modification to your shell FRP has contradicted themselves on their own guidelines.

As you told me during our frequent phone conversations "AT seems to know more about this product than FRP does".

While your rack set up only weighs 6.25 lbs once that weight extends out up to 7 feet from the hinge the torque is considerable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad