For all Jeep guys

pixelcodex

Observer
I know it is not good to start on the wrong foot with Jeep guys, but let me start by saying that I considered buying an LR3 for a long time. After some research and — even though I like it very much — heard too many stories about their costly maintenance and some issues that I could not ignore.
I now am seriously considering a Hemi 06 Jeep Commander due to its similar features (3rd row, space, off road ability, etc). Now I did not ese a lot of threads on them on Expo, or too many aftermarket products after a quick google search.

Are they not considered "true Jeeps"? Why is it that not a lot of people on Expo seem to have them? Any insight/advice is appreciated.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've seen a few nicely built Commanders. I think the Commander was well recieved by the Jeep community as the new Wagoneer...and like the Waggy, it was never an overly popular vehicle.

I will say this about them, I've had two customers with dealer maintained scheduled maintenance burn a piston on their variable displacement Hemi's, and take out the engine. Could just be a fluke thing, we aren't a Jeep dealer any more, so not sure how common it is.

Repo503

Adventurer
Its just a Grand Cherokee with a very slight stretch and a mostly useless 3rd row. I looked at these hard a few years ago because I really like the styling and 4wd system. They are also pretty comfortable and now can be had for a song in the secondary market (seriously horrible resale value).

What ended up turning me off was largely visibility. It has those gun slit windows designers were so in love with at the time. I guess marketing also learned that smaller windows made people feel safer in their vehicles as well. But I just can't stand it. Aftermaarket support is also much worse than the similar Grand Cherokee. Unless you love the styling there's not really a compelling reason to choose one over a Grand...though the sunlights are cool.

Timgco

Adventurer
You can pick them up at a good price! Superlift has a kit for them and you can run 33's with that kit. You will be limited to aftermarket support, but there are rock rails and UC protection available. I have seen a couple here in the Denver metro area that are built really nice. They are less common that other rigs built. Could be a great platform for you. Depends on what type of terrain you will run though.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
True Jeeps have solid axles, you asked. I will also add that the visibility sucks in the Commander. If looking into an IFS Jeep setup, look for a Liberty or WK Grand with the CRD engine. My wife's grandma has an 05 Liberty and I put about 700 miles on it back in August. It wasn't the CRD but still got a feel for it's size and convenience, large side mirrors and the windows provide good visibility.

Repo503

Adventurer
Good luck finding a CRD Grand they didn't sell too many of those and you might have to travel a bit to pick up a used one. I believe it was only available for 2, maybe 3 model years and only on the top level overland trim.

IFS sucks, but its not a deal breaker for expedition style travel...I could see if you were looking to build a rock crawler it woulf though.

Bumzo1

A commander most definitely is a real jeep and is just as capable as a stock wrangler. Especially since the commanders with the Hemi have Quadra Drive II which has front and rear limited slip differentials. They are based on the same platform as the WK so just about anything made for the grand cherokee will work for the XK. Also when built up they are pretty sexy imo

pixelcodex

Observer
Funny you mention diesel, as I would rather have that. I come from the car world and find it hard to ignore gas mileage. I like the idea of the MDS for that reason: I might be able to keep mpg in check.
I came across a diesel liberty locally today with decent mileage, and it is tempting, but it is way too small in my opinion. A Grand Cherokee would be cool, but there aren't any around here and it gets out of budget. I will still check out the Liberty Crd tomorrow. Driving it might change my mind...

pixelcodex

Observer
I am not looking for a crawler. Just a capable reliable vehicle for "out of the beaten path" exploring, the same kind I would do with my motorcycle, but including the family.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A commander most definitely is a real jeep and is just as capable as a stock wrangler. Especially since the commanders with the Hemi have Quadra Drive II which has front and rear limited slip differentials. They are based on the same platform as the WK so just about anything made for the grand cherokee will work for the XK. Also when built up they are pretty sexy imo

Do you wish to wager $10k and prove that a top of the line Commander is as capable as a top of the line stock JKRU, how about a measly $500? I am willing to make that bet, I have been doing this a long time and actually know what I'm talking about. The top of the line Commander can't even come close to a basic JK in real off-road performance, so I rest my case.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Funny you mention diesel, as I would rather have that. I come from the car world and find it hard to ignore gas mileage. I like the idea of the MDS for that reason: I might be able to keep mpg in check.
I came across a diesel liberty locally today with decent mileage, and it is tempting, but it is way too small in my opinion. A Grand Cherokee would be cool, but there aren't any around here and it gets out of budget. I will still check out the Liberty Crd tomorrow. Driving it might change my mind...

Go drive that CRD, I know I would.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Someone earlier in this thread compared the Commander to the Grand Wagoneer of yesteryear! I loved those old trucks, so I do like the style lines of this truck.
Make sure you are fully understanding the OP's needs. Basically, and overlander truck- Light wheeling (not going wheeling- just point a- to point b stuff).
I have seen a Commander well built on AEV's site- and it looked quite capable, so I know they can be built.

I too looked at a Commander for (and with) my wife to replace her LR3 (thinking it would be a similarly equipped truck (amenity wise). Turns out while she loved the truck, it "felt" big for her- She has settled on (and is taking delivery tomorrow) on a new JK Unlimited Rubicon! She completely threw me a curve-
I will say that, the rear seats in the Commander were Extremely easier to raise and lower than those in the LR3- You have to perform Yoga to get them up or down from the rear of the truck!

Fer- I think this might be a great truck for you!
D

Repo503

Adventurer
Speaking of Wagoneers, there is suposed to be a new one on the horizon on the wk2 platform. A Dodge Durango with Jeep 4wd basically.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Someone earlier in this thread compared the Commander to the Grand Wagoneer of yesteryear! I loved those old trucks, so I do like the style lines of this truck.
Make sure you are fully understanding the OP's needs. Basically, and overlander truck- Light wheeling (not going wheeling- just point a- to point b stuff).
I have seen a Commander well built on AEV's site- and it looked quite capable, so I know they can be built.

I too looked at a Commander for (and with) my wife to replace her LR3 (thinking it would be a similarly equipped truck (amenity wise). Turns out while she loved the truck, it "felt" big for her- She has settled on (and is taking delivery tomorrow) on a new JK Unlimited Rubicon! She completely threw me a curve-
I will say that, the rear seats in the Commander were Extremely easier to raise and lower than those in the LR3- You have to perform Yoga to get them up or down from the rear of the truck!

Fer- I think this might be a great truck for you!
D

They were not comparing a Wagoneer to a Commander, they said the Commander is the modern version of the Wagoneer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven