For Sale: *Reduced* $6000 Australian Built Trak Shak camper trailer

$6000 o.b.o

Up for sale is our beloved 2001 Australian built Trak Shak. We’ve owned this for over ten years, just camped in it for the eclipse, and didn’t think that we’d ever sell it. We came across a screaming deal on a Conquerer so we decided to try something new. This is one of two known in the U.S.

This camper was bought in Australia and imported by a returning army vet who I bought it from. This is an Australian made version - later models were built in China and quality suffered.

Speaking of quality, the Aussie’s really know how to build a camper, and this thing is beefy. I will say it’s overall better built than our brand new Conquerer and it has the thickest canvas that I’ve ever touched. Nothing produced domestically compares to this camper - Go shop for “overland” campers in a similar price range and then come look at this one.

In Australia these are regarded as the ultimate family camper because they have a ton of storage, and the tent is absolutely massive when it’s folded out. The height of the tent also keeps it cooler in the summer, but the canvas is so thick, a diesel heater can heat the tent, and will even turn it into a sauna if the temps are over 40.

We camped 6 adults in this for the Indy 500 one year and had room to spare. Most often it’s just been my wife and I, and we came to really love having separate beds when you’re camping during the hot summer - that was non-negotiable for any new camper purchase.

This thing get’s looks and comments wherever we take it, and we’ve taken it all over the place. It’ll go anywhere you want, and probably a few places you shouldn’t. It’s been:

Land between the Lakes, Kentucky Adventure Trail, Red River Gorge, Garden of the Gods, Drummond Island, It’s circumnavigated the U.P. and been to High Rock Bay, all over Ontario, New river gorge, up and over the Appalachian Mountains (including an ill-advised trip up to Spruce Knob), even Gettysburg, music festivals, and countless state park trips with family.

Setup
  • Trak Shak’s are famous for being able to setup the tent with Just 2 poles, in under 10 minutes ()
  • If we’re just camping for one night, we often didn’t even use the 2 poles or deploy the awning. Once folded out there is an internal pole to setup, and then the tent is self supporting.
  • I think we’ve only ever used the external poles or staked the tent down twice- it’s that stable without them. Both times when camping next to a large body of water when storms were coming in.
  • Screen room velcro onto the awning on the front of tent in just a couple minutes.
  • Sleeping bags, etc can be folded up with the camper

Towing
  • Weighs ~2,700lbs dry
  • Tows great with the Treg hitch
  • I towed this camper for the first few years with a Jeep Cherokee XJ, and ever since with my Hummer H3T, so I think about anything should be able to tow it comfortably.
  • I’ve towed this down hundreds of miles of gravel roads and offroad trails, often at too high a speed, and it’s super stable. This trailer can go anywhere my truck can.

Specs

• Trailer is 7ft long x 77 inches wide
  • 13ft overall with tongue
  • The tent is 9ft tall at it’s peak
  • On top of the trailer are 2 full size beds
  • We also have an extra canvas “bunk” which attaches under the fold out bed to make another private sleeping area
  • The tent in front of the beds is 7ft long x 9ft wide
  • Awning on the front of the tent is 6ft long x 9ft wide
  • Currently on 6 lug hummer aluminum wheels

Amenities
  • Treg offroad hitch (absolutely awesome, and noise free)
  • Has a deep cycle battery, and trailer has multiple 12v outlets wired throughout the camper
  • Boat loader that allows you to setup the camper, without needing to unload your boat (it folds down)
  • Boat motor mount to take your motor with you
  • Full size spare tire and spare stub axle
  • Parking Break
  • I’ve also added an 8 foot pull out awning on the boat loader for additional shade
  • All original storage boxes and bins included, as well as some additional
  • Front door has a Kitchen which can be detached and setup alongside the camper, also has a pull out prep table built in
  • Rear door also has a pull out table that is sized for a dometic fridge, but also can be pulled out and setup inside the tent
  • You can also leave the rear door open and zip it into the tent - We used it as a table to make coffee/tea in the morning
  • Includes mounts on the outside of the cooler for 8 Jerry cans- We’ve also found those same mounts are perfectly sized to carry Yeti Roadie coolers

Condition
  • Overall it’s in great shape, let alone for a ~20 year old camper, but there are minor dents/dings/etc
  • Tent and canvas are in great shape. No rips, holes, tears, stains,etc. Doesn’t leak, and we’ve even had a couple inches of snow on the top of it without issue.
  • All zippers work as expected
  • Front of the trailer has been sandblasted a bit. We did a couple hundred miles of gravel roads in Canada, and I forgot to bring the rock guard which would have protected it. (rock guard is included). It’s just surface rust, and my plan was to wirewheel / treat it / and spray the front with Raptor Liner to prevent any future issues.
  • Everything works
  • Tires are a couple years old, plenty of tread left, spare has never been used

What’s Included
  • All factory storage bins, and some extra’s
  • All factory tent poles, stakes, and guy lines
  • Carpet for inside the tent
  • Tent ground cloth
  • Mattresses
  • Under bed “bunk” canvas
  • Extra 8ft. Awning
  • Trailer Rock Guard
  • Awning Screen Room
  • Awning Hard wall
  • Plastic windows that attach to each window via snaps, this allows you to have sunlight in the tent when it’s raining or windy.
  • Spare stub axle
  • 4 Jerry Cans
  • Factory Stabilizer legs
  • I also added 4 fold down stabilizers this year for easier setup

More Info
  • Just Ask!
  • There’s also an owners facebook group and you’ll find tons of info on Australia sites if you google around.

Additional Photos

$10,000 o.b.o.
Trailer is located in Indianapolis, Indiana.

20210707_214801.jpg

IMG_1221.JPG

20221112_093719.jpg
20240413_181749.jpg
20240413_183312.jpg

Last edited:

hudd07

Surprised this hasn’t sold yet. Not really in the market right now but I’d be forced to jump on this if on West Coast

Thanks, makes no sense to me either when you see what some other "overlanding" trailers are going for. No domestically produced trailer compares to the quality of this thing.

Roadtrip! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk