Ford Quigley 4x4 Camper Valuation Help - Can anyone value my rig?

Jharris874

Can anyone help me with some insight as to a value for my unique rig? I've had it listed for sale for some time now with nothing but extremely low-ball offers. Has the older Quigley/Sportsmobile market taken a massive hit with the introduction of Sprinter vans? I was not terribly familiar with the market prior to purchasing this rig, but feel I may have drastically overpaid.

I have a very unique 2008 Ford Econoline E-350 Superduty XL Quigley 4x4 with the dreaded 6.0 Liter diesel engine. The engine has not been modified or "bullet-proofed" aside from an engine block heater, oil pan heater, and transmission heater installed by Truckwell of Alaska, allowing the truck to be plugged in and warmed prior to running in cold temps. I've had several diesel gear heads balk at my 6.0 liter, although mine is a 2008 and I heard the earlier models were ones with issues, and other guys I've talked to with 6.0 Liters never had an issue at all. Does this affect the value?

The odometer currently reads just over 39,000 miles, but has higher engine hours as it spent lots of time idling in the cold temps in its past life as an Alaskan guide vehicle, a "Pro" in my opinion as the former owner took lots of care to warm the vehicle up and keep the engine idling hot when using it.

The van has a few small dings in the side panels, and the underside/frame is structurally solid.

In addition to the listed information above, the van has new XD Wheels, new Nitto Terra Grappler tires, a Smittybilt Roof Rack, rear-door mounted spare tire, custom interior conversion with waterproof laminate flooring, *nearly* queen fold out bed, lots of custom storage, ARB fridge/heater, 12 gallon pressurized water tank with hose, wood panel ceiling, LED lighting, USB charging ports throughout, slide out propane stove, and a battery system capable of producing several days worth of off-grid power.

The front doesn't currently match the back. Stock cloth seats in good shape, basic radio headset, exactly what you would picture an older stock work van to be. Is it worth upgrading to make more desirable to sell? Perhaps upgrading seats, and installing captains chair brackets? Upgraded touch screen radio help?

Any and all input is appreciated! What do you think it's worth? What has anyone seen something actually SELL that is similar? Anyone you know of with experience in these you could put me in touch with? Any interested buyers?

Attachments

• 00Z0Z_9bpU6KSLRit_600x450.jpg
    00Z0Z_9bpU6KSLRit_600x450.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 83
  • V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 87
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 86
  • V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 85
  • V4.jpg
    V4.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 83
  • V5.jpg
    V5.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 80
  • V6.jpg
    V6.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 81
  • V7.jpg
    V7.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 78
  • V8.jpg
    V8.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 77
  • V9.jpg
    V9.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 77

Pangle

Wanderer
Very nice van. I have owned a 6.0 and personally I liked it. I did a few of the preventative maintenance items to help with peace of mind. From what I can gather the later in the 6.0 run the better they were, combine that with the vans seemingly having fewer issues I would say yours is a solid van. Although that being said I dont think all the negativity out there surrounding the 6.0 is going to help your cause. And to your point.... yea it seems to me that it was really 50/50 as to what 6.0s were out there. Either you have 0 issues what so ever or you have a rolling nightmare, wrapped in a money pit dying an abrupt death...

Jharris874

Very nice van. I have owned a 6.0 and personally I liked it. I did a few of the preventative maintenance items to help with peace of mind. From what I can gather the later in the 6.0 run the better they were, combine that with the vans seemingly having fewer issues I would say yours is a solid van. Although that being said I dont think all the negativity out there surrounding the 6.0 is going to help your cause. And to your point.... yea it seems to me that it was really 50/50 as to what 6.0s were out there. Either you have 0 issues what so ever or you have a rolling nightmare, wrapped in a money pit dying an abrupt death...

Yeah, all my feedback has been 50/50 as well, but anyone the spoke negatively had an earlier year. Thanks for your input!

Pangle

Wanderer
Sure thing no prob... just curious what are the engine hours currently? How much you thinking of selling for?

turbodiesel

My 2 cents... It doesn't have a poptop or high roof so that impacts the value. The interior is custom, and doesn't appear to be by someone like sportmobile. So you're looking to find someone that loves the layout and "feel" exactly. I suspect a lot of your low ball offers were from people that planned to rip out the interior and customize it to their needs. People are afraid of the 6.0l in general, even though the issues are fairly understood and can be addressed.

My evaluation which is complete opinion/conjecture/etc, would be the following:
2008 E350 6.0l diesel w/o "bullet-proofed" mods would be around 10-14K with similar mileage (there are some on ebay around 40K to support this pricing).
4x4 conversion could add 6-8K in value
Total value maybe 16-22K

Explorerinil

Observer
One sold locally, it was an 08 but a gasser and was bare inside (stock van seats) it also had a roof rack, ladder and grill guard. I think it had around 100k on it and as in great shape. It sold for 29k, they wouldn’t budge on the price and it went for that here.

Jharris874

One sold locally, it was an 08 but a gasser and was bare inside (stock van seats) it also had a roof rack, ladder and grill guard. I think it had around 100k on it and as in great shape. It sold for 29k, they wouldn’t budge on the price and it went for that here.

Thanks for the info! What part of the country are you located?

Jharris874

My 2 cents... It doesn't have a poptop or high roof so that impacts the value. The interior is custom, and doesn't appear to be by someone like sportmobile. So you're looking to find someone that loves the layout and "feel" exactly. I suspect a lot of your low ball offers were from people that planned to rip out the interior and customize it to their needs. People are afraid of the 6.0l in general, even though the issues are fairly understood and can be addressed.

My evaluation which is complete opinion/conjecture/etc, would be the following:
2008 E350 6.0l diesel w/o "bullet-proofed" mods would be around 10-14K with similar mileage (there are some on ebay around 40K to support this pricing).
4x4 conversion could add 6-8K in value
Total value maybe 16-22K

Thanks for the input!

Jharris874

Sure thing no prob... just curious what are the engine hours currently? How much you thinking of selling for?

I can't think off the top of my head, but I know they're much higher in relation to the low miles leading my to believe it was idled for long periods of time in its past life in Alaska. Someone posted my CL ad to the forum with more info on it.

Paddy

Adventurer
My 6.0 truck is for sale now too, for a fraction of that price, and I can’t get a bite either, even a low ball! People are terrified of the 6L unfortunately. It’s a great engine with mods. Without at least an egr delete and coolant filter, it is a bit of a time bomb though

Jharris874

My 6.0 truck is for sale now too, for a fraction of that price, and I can’t get a bite either, even a low ball! People are terrified of the 6L unfortunately. It’s a great engine with mods. Without at least an egr delete and coolant filter, it is a bit of a time bomb though

I've been considering the upgrades wether I sell it or keep it. Perhaps the peace of mind know its been bullet-proofed would help the sale. Thanks!

Paddy

Adventurer
My personal opinion, formed through a ton of research, is that they did not in fact have a head bolt issue leading to the need for head studs, they had a coolant leaking issue getting into combustion chamber which spiked pressures and blew head gaskets. This was because the oil coolers plugged from crap coolant (that’s why coolant filter) once the oil cooler was plugged the downstream egr cooler boiled from hot exhaust, which lead to cracks in the small tubes that allowed tiny bits of coolant to enter the combustion. So, if you do egr delete and coolant filter my feeling is that the much more expensive head studs are not necessary.
People would notice that they were loosing coolant and determined it was a partially blown head gasket which was true, but what we have a hard time discrerning is wether we have head gasket or egr cooler cracks, and people usually deleted or replaced egr cooler anyway during a head gasket job because we were already in there. Chicken/ egg situation. Only these eggs cost thousands.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77