Front Axle replacement

joker2041

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I have a left side axle in my 2003 Tacoma that needs replaced as the CV boot has ripped and its slinging grease everywhere so its just a matter of time until it goes out.

My question is: Are there any known issues with buying an aftermarket axle such as one from Advanced Autoparts or Autozone versus the pricey OEM option?

Thanks for the help.

RusM

Adventurer
Yes, they suck! Run it until it starts to make noise and them replace it. OEM spares from the junkyard go for $40 in my area.

Ric

Adventurer
Ive replaced 3 on my 99 with aftermarket CVs, and zero issues.
Replaced one on the 04 with aftermarket, and zero issues.

On the other side, Ive heard of a couple of people having nothing but problems with the aftermarket CVs.
IMHO its a hit or miss, with aftermarket from places like NAPA they are lifetime replacements, so if you do get a bad one, just take it back, you will only be out time.

zolo

Explorer
Ive replaced both my 06 Tacoma axles with aftermarket with zero issues. If you want an OEM axle then try and buy it through a local Toyota club sometimes those clubs get special saaving on parts.

Either way its an easy repair and while you have it apart, with the axle out pay special attention to the wheel bearing and make sure its smooth. if you have any doubt about the bearing replace it as well.

Good luck man let us know

toy_tek

Adventurer
I did some research on this a couple years ago. The A-1 Cardone aftermarket cv's are brand new and run about $99 at Checker (kragen, chucks, oreilly), with no core. They're lifetime free replacement. I believe you can get them at Rock Auto as well.

I have an ARB air locker up front, and it gets used frequently in some technical rock sections, and have never broken an axle. I did lose a boot clamp off one, swapped it out for a brand new axle no questions asked. The Cardone's have been installed approx 2 years.

I've kept the stock Toy shafts for trail replacements, but have never had to use them.

Bighead

Adventurer
Another option that I haven't seen mentioned is OEM remanufactured axles. Rebuilt and warrantied by Toyota. I have a couple in my garage from Toyota of Dallas ($125 w/ $75 core charge) that are waiting to go on my 4Runner.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I run OEM CVs with an O'Reilly's spare (which I'm actually running with right now until I get my stock one rebuilt). I haven't had any issues yet, but would hesitate to run anything but OEM CVs on a locked front axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad