frontrunner rack...how to mount awning and rtt?

mph

Expedition Leader
Anyone have a frontrunner out there? How did you mount the awning? How did you mount the RTT?

Thanks,
Mike

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hey Mike, is this on your 100? ARB awning? I made some quick disconnect mounts for my ARB awning on my Front Runner rack, can't remember if you saw them or not. Also, I have the RTT on my Tacoma mounted to a Front Runner load bar (Bakkie Rack). I put the bolt head in the FR track and ran it up through the tent, with a nut under the mattress as opposed to a bolt head. Make sense?

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks Kurt! Want to see those...Now, I have to decide which darn rack I am going to buy:)

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
I have a full length Frontrunner rack on my 80. I bought the RTT mounts from EQUIPT for a snug fit and they work great. I have an Eezi Awn awning and just drilled into the rack and the aluminum cover of the awning so that it is bolted firmly to the rack, no wiggles. If it were on the truck I would take some pics for you.

97XD

I have a Front Runner rack and CVT awning mounted. I used four galvanized L-shaped brackets from Home Depot. The brackets have two sets of holes drilled in that accommodate bolts that fit the FR racks sliding rack, and also conveniently line up with the awnings mounting rails. No extra drilling required, though I did cut about 1.5" off each bracket on the awning side so it wouldn't touch the roof paint. I'll see if I have photos of the mounts.

Collin

mph

Expedition Leader
Sweet! Thanks!

QUOTE=97XD;1188529]I have a Front Runner rack and CVT awning mounted. I used four galvanized L-shaped brackets from Home Depot. The brackets have two sets of holes drilled in that accommodate bolts that fit the FR racks sliding rack, and also conveniently line up with the awnings mounting rails. No extra drilling required, though I did cut about 1.5" off each bracket on the awning side so it wouldn't touch the roof paint. I'll see if I have photos of the mounts.

Collin[/QUOTE]

womacje

Adventurer
For the awning. Drill and bolts, super easy. FR gives you two lines on the outside of the rack that line up the hollow on the backside so you know where to drill and have room to fit your nut.

RTT brackets from any FR dealer are a nice easy way to go. It is a z channel of stainless with holes, pretty straight forward.
Let me know if you want pics of the two.

Jeremy

womacje

Adventurer
My first awning I mounted just like this and used ubolts to affix it to the Yakima bars. Nice and easy, clean and simple.

mph

Expedition Leader
Okay. Long overdue...any ideas on how to mount an arb awning? The mounting plate on the backside of my arb awning is wider then my new frontrunner rack sides????

Ramjet

Explorer
I actually ordered some brackets from Rhino rack. You might have a go at that. I get the rack tomorrow and my awning in a week or so. I will take a few pics. I am using a Foxwing awning though.

I've also put in a request over at Fourtreks, to see if they can fab up some of there killer mounts as well. I'm sending Luke a few dimensions tomorrow to see if they can come up with something for everyone.

Last edited:

JohnnyS

Explorer
Hannibal Awning on a Front Runner?
My 2M Hannibal doesn't line up with corresponding spaces in the rack, subsequently no using u-bolts.
I have a few ideas but was curious if anyone had some pics of how they mounted their Hannibal to a Front Runner.
Thanks!

taz223

ExplorationOutfitters.com
For my awning (Tepui) on my FR rack, I made some aluminum L brackets. The brackets bolt through the bottom of the rack in the FR holes and then bolt through the side of the rack in holes we drilled. The bolt for the holes through the side is also the mounting bolt for the awning.

For the tent, I can't say enough about the Front Runner tent mounts. Makes installing and removing the RTT about a 5 minute job, or if you just need to adjust it on the go its easy and quick. I would highly recommend them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77