FS: SamsonFab Offroad Adventure Trailer

elsensei

Observer
I'm going out of the country for an indeterminate amount of time so I've decided to sell my offroad adventure trailer. I detailed the build of this trailer with tons of pics at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65000-Exacting-Specs-Trailer-Build/ but then Sugarsync decided to disallow linking to photos directly so now all you can see is the text and a bunch of dead links where pictures should be.

So I uploaded a bunch of them here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115287951096132571965/Trailer

The trailer is my own design and my own construction, it has been tested in real world conditions and performs like a champion. It's completely self contained and was built to facilitate overland travel for long periods of time. This is the most comfortable you can be and still go anywhere. You wouldn't believe how long it takes to build one of these.

Features and specs:

The chassis is 2x3 rectangular steel tube and the frame of the box is 1 inch square steel. The whole thing is clad in glued and riveted Paintlock sheet metal and it's extremely sturdy. Hitch is via a Max Coupler. All the doors and foldouts (there are 7) turn on full length piano hinges and have automotive style bulb seals to keep out the dust. Furthermore, all of the doors have keyed locking latches so you can secure the trailer contents any time you need to.
The suspension is an independent railing arm design with airbags, shocks and electronic brakes. The bolt pattern is 6 on 5.5". Wheels are 265/70/17 BFG All-Terrains mounted on Sequoia rims with a brand new spare slung underneath.

Perishable food is stored in a 63 quart digital refrigerator/freezer that is behind one of the lockable doors. 63 quarts is enough capacity to feed two people for a couple weeks. The fridge rides on a tray mounted to rock solid 500 lb capacity ball bearing extensions.

The fenders are TIG welded aluminum diamond plate and they easily hold a 300 lb person. There is a 17 gallon capacity fuel cell with an electric fuel pump and retracting hose that lets you fill your vehicle without unhitching.

The front right fender holds a 5 gallon propane tank.

Inside the box is a 30 gallon water cell that feeds a Shurflo RV pump that in turn pressurizes a propane-fired hot shower on one side of the trailer and a filtered water faucet mounted through the foldout granite countertop on the other side. Yes, there is a granite countertop. :) The nose box holds a deep cycle battery, all the switched circuits for the refrigerator, water pump, compressor and fuel pump, a 750 watt inverter, the charge controller for the 120 watt solar panel and the compressor.

Aside from the countertop and refrigerator, the food prep area also holds a foldout gasoline powered two burner Coleman stove, a magnetic cutting board, magnetic paper towel holder, and a very large capacity dry food storage with another foldout food prep surface. All the utensils, plates, cups and gadgets are stored in the compartment behind the fold-down door. Making food is pretty sweet with this setup, as it's like you're in a 3-sided galley style kitchen.

The rear of the trailer has ambulance doors that hold a tool kit and two gasoline lanterns, plus there are stabilizer jacks mounted underneath and an additional hitch point coming out the back.

I almost forgot about the roof top tent. It's an Eezi-Awn 1800T-Top, complete with the additional room. The tent rides on top of everything, and whether deployed or wrapped for traveling you can reach and use all of the other features of the trailer. The additional room fits in the box alongside the first aid kit and besides that there is room for a propane space heater, two lounge chairs, a large and small folding table and the front stabilizer jack.

As near as I can tell, a trailer configured and equipped like this one would go for about $22,000. This one has some miles on it, so I'm selling it for $14,500. Also, for that price I will have it painted to match your vehicle.

Again, lots of pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/115287951096132571965/Trailer

Any questions, fire away!

Last edited:

elsensei

Observer
Actually, yes. I just put it back up for sale today. I had a buyer last year but as it turned out, my buyer ran into some issues so the sale wasn't completed. Then I started traveling again and just decided to keep it. Over the last year, I've taken the trailer to firearms training in the Nevada desert a couple times, to Northern California and back once, and all the way to Burning Man 2013 where it won a "Best of Burning Man" award.

That surprised me but people really liked it. Maybe it was the air conditioner I temporarily mounted through one tent window...dunno. What I do know is that it stood up to the notorious playa dust like nobody's business.

I'm getting itchy feet and I'm getting ready to hit the road again, and I can't drive to Europe. So I'm offering the trailer for sale again, same parameters as before...14.5k and I'll have it painted to match your vehicle. Except this time it comes with a new battery and a 150 watt solar panel that is overkill for certain...but you can't have too much overkill.

Message if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy