FS: Tacoma DCSB Wedge Camper + Roof Rack

brokenfoot

Up for sale is my DIY wedge camper. The camper was built following a design shared by member @Ripcord the details of the construction of the camper can be found here.

In short, the camper is similar in design to the Go Fast Camper Platform Camper with a few minor changes.

1. The upper sleeping platform has been elongated around a foot and a half to allow for entering and exiting the bed. The benefit of this change can be seen in this video. The sleeping platform does not need to be removed to exit through the bed, thus allowing easier entering and exiting. An additional benefit of this design change is that the excess tent material is easier to store when closing the camper.
2. The height of the "sleeping section" has been increased a few inches to allow bedding to remain in place when closing the camper. In prior iterations of GFC's, it was difficult to close the camper with bedding in place.

So who is this for?

I love the camper and the versatility and convenience that it brings. I've spent more than 40 nights this year in the camper and I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed camping more. Both set up and closing take no more than 30 seconds and not having to roll up a inflatable mat or stuff my sleeping bag is game changing. However, this camper is not without it's faults. Being a DIY project means, that this camper would be best suited for a DIY kind of person.

If you love camping and projects, but hate setting and packing things up, keep reading.

The Good and The Bad

The camper is complete and ready to rock and roll. I've taken this thing from the deserts of Southern California to the mountains of Colorado with nearly 0 problems. As it stands, the camper has 2 issues that need addressing. First, the tent needs to have a small rain skirt added to the lower half of the tent. The camper originally used silicone to seal between the 80/20 aluminium track and the keder rail, but the silicone is failing. This leads to water intrusion in rainy weather. Second, in my opinion the lower frame made of square tube, should be re-done. This would entail separating the upper camper half from the lower frame half and welding up another frame.

The Price

If you read through the DIY Wedge Camper Thread, you will see many completed campers, but you will also see the huge amount of time and effort it takes to build one from the ground up. The parts list estimates the raw cost of parts to be around $3000. Factor in the current COVID supply chain issues, acquiring some of the necessary materials may be extremely difficult. The camper is a labor of love and it has taken other members weeks to months to complete their builds. Taking into account the work necessary to get this camper in to tip top shape, I am asking $4000 for the camper and roof rack. Located in Southern California. The roof rack is a Martin Offroad Camper Rack. Which is made out of CNC cut aluminum, just like a Prinsu.

In Summary

I could talk for days about this camper. Do not expect to be getting GFC production quality, if that was the case, the price would be double what I'm asking. I'd like to keep things concise, so if you have any questions or concerns about the camper. Shoot me a PM, we can figure out a time for you to check out the camper or I can do a walk-around video or even Zoom/Facetime. I like to be as transparent as possible so don't hesitate to get in contact with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk