Fun scenario...bumper choice...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So lets say you have a Jeep. Could be a CJ, Fullsize, wrangler, cherokee, grand, or liberty...(liberty guys will be towed out when disabled, by the rest of the Jeep fleet...haha..j/k.)You have fought your way to your family and are fleeing from hoards of quick moving zombies through your hometown, with your precious cargo tucked inside.

Your expo vehicle is now serving the purpose of escape pod and armored vehicle. Loaded up with gear, you know "if" you get out of the city limits you can live unassisted using the kit you've installed, hunting game with the survival rifle you stow in your rig, for an extended period while the virus that has infected the populous has subsided.

Battering cars at low and medium speeds, crashing through hedges and fences, as well as deflecting hapless infected souls will likely be required due to road blockages. Cooling system and engine damage is not acceptable, but you're certainly willing to scratch and dent your rig to get your family out.

What bolt on/ commercially available or custom armor have you fitted previously, knowing that you'd eventually meet the hordes of the undead at some point.

One restriction is that this armor would have to be on your rig as a daily driver, if it is one.

Post a pic
post a description
post any anti zombie mods you have made
post anticdotal info, if you have any, that speaks
to the survivability of said armor, that makes you think
you'd make it through.

Have fun,
Brian

3232002307_76b45a1a24.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
wow, 50 views and no replies...I thought it'd be busier than this...lol.

no worries...all in fun.

I have to say that I tend towards the ARB bull bar for its full coverage. I don't have any stories of going through walls, but there are a couple internet
stories of trucks hitting other cars (with pictures) with destructive effects for the other car.

I'll try and find pics. :)

I'd have to say some welded-on, forward-mounted spikes would do some damage. :elkgrin:

winkosmosis

Explorer
wow, 50 views and no replies...I thought it'd be busier than this...lol.

no worries...all in fun.

I have to say that I tend towards the ARB bull bar for its full coverage. I don't have any stories of going through walls, but there are a couple internet
stories of trucks hitting other cars (with pictures) with destructive effects for the other car.

I'll try and find pics. :)

I'd have to say some welded-on, forward-mounted spikes would do some damage. :elkgrin:
But they'd get stuck.

I like the Simon & Simon bumper... helps prevent them from going under and sticking on your axles. Not good for approach angle though.

I think I'd go with a regular bumper with a hoop, a factory front skid plate, and those branch wires so zombies don't hit the windshield. I don't have any of those though

WickedZJ

Adventurer
I think I would have to go with a Trail Ready for my Jeep. Looks to offer good approach angles, solid strength for plowing through em and protects the radiator pretty well. Fog lights are recessed as well so flailing limbs don't bust em.

ZJ-Full-3_lg.jpg

HarryT

Adventurer
A Jeep isn't heavy enough to crash through fences, roadblocks, etc. A better survival vehicle would be a surplus military 2 1/2 ton or 5 ton truck. Its big and heavy and can carry lots of fuel and water. You don't have to have tags or insurance on it since it will only be used when there is chaos in the streets.
But if you insist on a Jeep, be sure to protect the radiator, all the windows, and the tires. You'll need a super-duper air filtration system or gas mask for everyone. You may even need protection from rifle bullets and fire. And remember, "when the going gets tough, the kids will need to go to the restroom".

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think I would have to go with a Trail Ready for my Jeep. Looks to offer good approach angles, solid strength for plowing through em and protects the radiator pretty well. Fog lights are recessed as well so flailing limbs don't bust em.

ZJ-Full-3_lg.jpg

nice!

1speedlos

Observer
Hmmmm...The Zombie War

I don't really go for the off-the-shelf bumpers myself, but I'm thinking the Road Armor Rock Crawler.
Since I'm going to be getting the F outta D in a TJ, my escape routes are planned around avoiding roads, where congestion is most likely, and interface with Zach kept to a minimum. After the Great Panic subsides, I'll probably stay out in the boonies anyway.

So, just get done reading World War Z ?

Bodo

Adventurer

Indeed it would! But imagine the smell of the decomposing members that were speared and stuck on the spikes.

Flat plate is the way to go. MUCH easier to keep clean.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Dont have a Jeep....but I'll play along

I think I would rate my ARB bumper as being Zombie ready. A guy at work already told me that my truck looks like it belongs on the set of Resident Evil. Which, of course, I took as a compliment. :elkgrin: I added a 3/16 steel skid plate to the bottom of the IFS system and that should take care of any thing that may......."bounce" under the truck.

0eb44823.jpg

Whomever mentioned Road Armor.....Well, let us just say that Zombies may become a reality before you could get a bumper from them. I would urge anyone to think twice before buying from RA. Click here if you care to know more.

bucketosudz

Explorer
Whomever mentioned Road Armor.....Well, let us just say that Zombies may become a reality before you could get a bumper from them. I would urge anyone to think twice before buying from RA. Click here if you care to know more.

02TahoeMD,
Twas I that mentioned Road Armor, not by purchasing experience mind you, but for "Looks" factor only. Theres a fella here in town that has one and its HUGE. Perhaps not terribly functional, but intimidating nonetheless. It would help eleviate picking much from out of your grill during a ZOMBIE attack I think though. And for the record, I wouldn't purchase one for my rig if I could, and they would. :victory: :smiley_drive: It's all good!!

1speedlos

Observer
Well, I had kinda put off my front bumper build, but this thread has me wanting to finish it up... zombie-proof, of course!
Not off the shelf, but kinda on topic...
BTW, this thread had me also go back and reread World War Z. If any of you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It's author, Max Brooks, has been described as "the Studds Terkle of zombie journalism." The Good War meets 28 Days Later/ Night of the Living Dead!

Los

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal