FWC Swift on a 6' bed?!?

zirkel

Have a Gen 2 V6 access cab with 6’ bed and getting ready to add a FWC for 3-season use. Most folks would put a Fleet on this Tacoma. I’m considering a Swift (made for 5’ bed). Here’s my rational:

1. 110 pounds lighter (base model)
  2. No overhang from rear of bed
  3. Can keep tailgate on (back porch!), and even shut tailgate

Being scrawny and single, I’m less concerned with the volume of interior space, although I’ve never actually set foot in a Swift. I like the fold-down couch configuration, and just want to be able to crawl into the back when stealth camping.

1. Is this a completely lame brained idea?
  2. Anyone here using a Swift on a 6’ Tacoma bed?
  3. Can a 5’9” person actually lay comfortable on a Swift counch/bed?

Atl-atl

Adventurer
  • Is this a completely lame brained idea?
  • Anyone here using a Swift on a 6’ Tacoma bed?
  • Can a 5’9” person actually lay comfortable on a Swift counch/bed?
  1. No
  2. Yes
  3. Maybe
There are definitely a lot of people running a swift in a 6 foot bed. I created a Swift out of a Fleet when I remodeled mine because thats precisely what I wanted. I dont know what the measurements are for the rollover in a modern Swift but it has to be close to mine, which is 68 1/2" from front wall to back wall. Im 6' tall and its pretty comfortable in the fetal position but I definitely cant stretch out.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
It’s a pain getting through the door when you have a “porch”.

Ask me how I know you're old...

When I camp I usually back up to the fire/view/area of interest. Having a porch is great because its a seat for 2-3 people, a work bench, a meal prep surface etc. Having the camper inside the tailgate shortens your departure angle, protects the camper from obstacles off road and from rear-end offenders on road. In my opinion bending over to get in/out of the camper is a small price to pay.

zirkel

Having a porch is great because its a seat for 2-3 people, a work bench, a meal prep surface etc. Having the camper inside the tailgate shortens your departure angle, protects the camper from obstacles off road and from rear-end offenders on road. In my opinion bending over to get in/out of the camper is a small price to pay.

You're validating my thinking here. Having lived and camped in previously-owned Tacomas with camper shells, the tailgate has always been an integral part of my outdoor experience. I'm not 100% sure about giving that up with my new FWC investment and retirement vehicle.

I appreciate the continued interior space (Fleet) vs weight/tailgate use (Swift) insights.

Thanks!

taco2.jpg

eevaldes

Have a Gen 2 V6 access cab with 6’ bed and getting ready to add a FWC for 3-season use. Most folks would put a Fleet on this Tacoma. I’m considering a Swift (made for 5’ bed). Here’s my rational:

1. 110 pounds lighter (base model)
  2. No overhang from rear of bed
  3. Can keep tailgate on (back porch!), and even shut tailgate

Being scrawny and single, I’m less concerned with the volume of interior space, although I’ve never actually set foot in a Swift. I like the fold-down couch configuration, and just want to be able to crawl into the back when stealth camping.

1. Is this a completely lame brained idea?
  2. Anyone here using a Swift on a 6’ Tacoma bed?
  3. Can a 5’9” person actually lay comfortable on a Swift counch/bed?
1. No! The swift camper is still very comfortable
2. I had a swift camper on my Tacoma for a few months and loved it. I camped a bunch of times with my 2 small kiddos and my wife.
3. Yes, Im 5'10 and slept downstairs a few times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad