GAIA issue - using up all my phone's storage

rnArmy

Adventurer
I like GAIA. Never really had an issue. Till recently. Somehow it has started downloading a bunch of maps (a ton of them from years ago), in that eventually my phone can't take it anymore (android). I've got 64GB of storage, and once GAIA got to taking up 27GB of storage, it stopped downloading, and my phone sent me a message saying it was full. So I had to uninstall GAIA on my phone. Here's a poor copy of a screenshot I took on my phone. These are from 2021! And they go back to 2019. What is above the June 2019 maps are the ORBDR tracks (which I want - I just want everything below them deleted).

GAIA screenshot.PNG

On my laptop (think of it as the mothership), the only thing I have downloaded is the ORBDR tracks. And on my phone, the only tracks downloaded are the ORBDR tracks. But for some reason (which keeps telling me "Synch Completed") is trying to download these maps (which is sucking storage space).

Is there somehow I've got these maps archived somewhere and I need to find the archived files? On my laptop under saved items the only thing that pops up is the ORBDR tracks. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times on my phone with no results.

I've tried to click on each map individually to try and delete them. I'll get a blue checkmark by the map, and what looks like a trashcan in the upper right hand corner. I'll click on the trashcan, and the map just reappears (blue checkmark disappears). Or I'll get a page that says delete, I'll click delete, it asked if I really want to delete it, I'll say OK, and it goes back as if nothing happened.

Last edited:

dstefan

That is weird! I have a huge amount of maps and hundreds of downloaded tracks and it only uses 6.3 gb on my iPhone.

What does Gaia support say?

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Weird indeed. Check your Sync settings on the phone you may have an auto sync setting enabled in the background. Or maybe it was waiting for WiFi? Gaia can be funky in map area downloads. Otherwise, sync with cloud, uninstall and reinstall. Then re-download the wanted maps over WiFi. I've had to do it once when Gaia wasn't behaving.

pluton

Adventurer
Could your issue be that you have a large collection of maps in your Gaia account which Gaia keeps trying to download to your phone because you haven't disabled "Auto resume map downloads" for the maps you don't want?
BG: I have Gaia on phone and tablet. The tablet has a big collection of maps on it...around 100GB. The website has that same collection of maps under my name/account. There's no room for 100GB of maps on my phone. On the phone, I keep a smaller collection of maps. However: So far as I can tell, Gaia only allows you one account = one collection of maps. About all those extra maps from the tablet and website that I don't want on the phone: Gaia assumes that I want to have them on all my devices . In the Gaia settings on the phone, for the maps that I don't want on the phone, I have to disable "Auto-resume" under Map downloads, or Gaia will try to download all 100GB of maps to the phone with the obvious undesired results.

Howard70

Adventurer
I don't have a solution for you. I ran into a similar issue back in January when I decided to clean up all of my maps (iPhone & iPad) to maker GAIA more agile. Basically "archived" maps on my GAIA web account, then uninstalled GAIA apps on phone & iPad to clear everything out. Shut down both phone & tablet, restarted them & installed the apps. Took quite some time for the iPad to sync everything (tracks & waypoints - no maps as they were archived). Then downloaded one map (GAIA Overland) to iPad to test. All was well & really quick. Then tried to sync the phone. Would never complete the sync. Long discourse with GAIA support (weeks) only to discover that there was some "known issue" with syncing the phone and they didn't know when it would be fixed. Not sure why they waited weeks to tell me of the known issue. My solution?
I moved to CalTopo. While it isn't perfect, I'm a lot happier with it. I was an ardent supporter of GAIA for many years, but ever since Outside purchased the program I've been feeing the cracks open wider and wider. There are many things I like about GAIA, but they're of no use to me if a "known issue" can't be resolved in 6 months.

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk