Gen 3 Timing Belt

I recently purchased a 2003 Gen 3 Limited, with 144,000 miles on it, the body and the interior are in excellent condition. I am starting this project by catching up with the maintenance.
I have already done.

Spark Plugs
Wires
Coils
Freewheel Clutch Control Solenoid
Removed the butterfly valves
Inner Tie Rod Steering Boots
Serpentine Belt
Front and Rear Diff Fluid

Transfer Case Fluid

Next up is the timing belt. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I plan on swapping out the crankshaft bolt and the water pump while I'm in there. Is there anything else that I should swap out while thing are pulled apart? Thanks

JPEG_20210207_161002_6799183029111688335.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
X2 on the sensors and seals. Might also think about replacing the little O-rings on the injectors. Those get brittle and are easy to replace. If you haven’t read it elsewhere, lots of hate on using 3rd party timing belt tensioner. If you can afford it, go for OEM for the tensioner. It might just save your motor.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Another thought, there is a small metal pin that holds the crankshaft gear in time. Don’t mess that up. I accidentally drove that pin into the gear and had to replace the whole thing. Search my username on here and you’ll find a few threads related to engine rebuilds and timing belt jobs. Don’t do what I do, learn from what I’ve done so you don’t make all the same mistakes:)

Another thought, there is a small metal pin that holds the crankshaft gear in time. Don’t mess that up. I accidentally drove that pin into the gear and had to replace the whole thing. Search my username on here and you’ll find a few threads related to engine rebuilds and timing belt jobs. Don’t do what I do, learn from what I’ve done so you don’t make all the same mistakes:)
Found that thread, great info and there are some eagle-eyed and knowledgeable guys on here. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online