Good vehicle choice for

Bobthebuilder

light expedition/trail exploration and (wishful thinking) camping. I've had an 83 Landcruiser and a 94 t4runner that I enjoyed exploring with very much. I'm currently thinking about picking up a first gen 4runner to use for my deisred application but am open to others thoughts and experiences. At this point the family consists my wife, me and 2 Australian Shepherds. Any recommendations to a decent vehicle that will "fit" my wants/needs? My biggest criteria is relatively easy sourcing of parts, relatively inexpensive and reliable. I'm willing and capable to repair/modify etc but do not want to pick up someone elses project. Thanks guys

Skwerly

Observer
I've had unbelievable reliability with my '88 Jeep Cherokee. The 4.0L engine is stout and WILL take a beating. Parts are cheap and, with a couple drive train upgrades, it'll wheel with anything out there.

Plus, they readily accept roof racks and hitches for racks back there, both of which I run on mine. Of course, it isn't a full size but it has a surprising amount of room inside.

Anyhow, just chucking Jeep Cherokee into the mix. :)

Doctor W

Adventurer
X2......it's very hard to go past a Jeep Cherokee for what you want to do........and places are out-bidding each other DOWN to supply all sorts of gear and stuff fo them.

Of course, if you nedd more room.......then its a ZJ Grand Cherokee!

Bobthebuilder

So after looking at a few different options, a 93 Landcruiser will be coming home w/ me. 187k, needs tires and a little tlc but runs and drives great.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Subaru Outback. Lets face it, we stay on fairly well maintained gravel roads most of the time. Good for that, lots of room, later ones have traction control, north of 20 mpg.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I will always recommend a Pathfinder, head over to the Nissan section for some great ideas, an R50 (1997-2004) is readily available for a low price, has excellent reliability, and I would say is much more refined than much of the competition, especially XJs (not hating, but they're a little agricultural, wonderfully so) and have surprisingly good capability right out of the box, all with an extremely smooth ride.

Otherwise, if you realize true 4x4 isn't needed, then go for the aforementioned Subaru Outback.

Look around on here, and there's no bad choices with the right mods. :)

Bobthebuilder

Subaru Outback. Lets face it, we stay on fairly well maintained gravel roads most of the time. Good for that, lots of room, later ones have traction control, north of 20 mpg.

Already have a lifted (2" King springs) 05 Outback XT manual trans. My wife and I love the car. It's fun for gravel roads, long highway trips and very light fire roads BUT a manual trans and a turbo is a recipe for something breaking....

bfdiesel

Explorer
Already have a lifted (2" King springs) 05 Outback XT manual trans. My wife and I love the car. It's fun for gravel roads, long highway trips and very light fire roads BUT a manual trans and a turbo is a recipe for something breaking....

What are you talking about?

Bobthebuilder

What are you talking about?

I'm guessing you're referring to my comment saying a manual trans and a turbo is a recipe for something breaking. I should've specified a manual trans w/ no low range that's designed for road driving is not ideal for low speed, more technical "crawling". Besides, it's my wife's car and I've been given explicit instructions not to break it. Is that a little better?:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad