Ground clearance?

Wilsonian

So I bought a 2010 Quicksilver 6.0 that I will be using for a bit of lite overlanding/camping. Mostly camping, but I like to be away from people when I set up camp. My Jeep has a ground clearance of 10" underneath the pumpkin. The trailer comes with 21" tires (5.30 12) on 12" wheels. The length of the trailer is 8', with a tongue of 2' giving it 10' of length behind the Jeep. My question is, how much lift under the trailer Axle do you think I would need given again that my Jeep has 10" of clearance? Thoughts?

ottsville

Observer
Probably none in most cases - do you ever drag your pumpkin anywhere you're going to take the trailer?

What is the clearance to any low points on the trailer when hitched?

Places of concern would be axle, jack if not a swing away, and rear corners(are there stabilizer jacks under there?).

Is it a torsion axle? If so and you want more clearance I'd make some riser blocks for it and put some bigger wheels on it.

Last edited:

Wilsonian

Probably none in most cases - do you ever drag your pumpkin anywhere you're going to take the trailer?

What is the clearance to any low points on the trailer when hitched?

Places of concern would be axle, jack if not a swing away, and rear corners(are there stabilizer jacks under there?).

Is it a torsion axle? If so and you want more clearance I'd make some riser blocks for it and put some bigger wheels on it.
I'll have to go measure when I get home to be precise as far as the axle to ground height. The lowest point for sure is the Axle. For sure the clearance is less than 10" if I take into account that the tire is 21", and the axle would then lower the overall height. At the end points, it is 14" to the frame. Torsion axle.

old_CWO

The next taller common trailer tire is a 175/80R13 which is 24x7. Do you have room for that in the fenders without a lift? If so, that's what I would do. Even if you have to put a spacer on the torsion axle for 13s, it's still worth it in my estimation. You get a much better tire availability as well as some additional clearance.

Pop ups on 13s generally have very good ground clearance without being cartoonishly tall. Depending of course on what's hanging down underneath as Ottsville pointed out.

ottsville

Observer
I'll have to go measure when I get home to be precise as far as the axle to ground height. The lowest point for sure is the Axle. For sure the clearance is less than 10" if I take into account that the tire is 21", and the axle would then lower the overall height. At the end points, it is 14" to the frame. Torsion axle.

I don't know if you can get enough lift with just a riser kit to run a standard size jeep wheel/tire without modifying the fenders, but that is what I would look towards doing. Remember that raising the trailer might mean you want to adapt the step into the trailer.

daveh

Adventurer
Best bet would be to change the fenders. You might be able to purchase the ones that were used for the Jeep version of this trailer. Then you would only need the proper adapters to fit Jeep wheels/tires.
e72c82829672652b15a4b95f87b7ec09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilsonian

So the clearance under my axle is 10.5. Under the torsion arms it is a little over 9 inches. With the pumpkin on my Jeep being 10 inches off the ground, do I even really need to do anything?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I wouldn't worry about the clearance. What i WOULD worry about is traveling long distances on tiny 12" trailer tires. That tire size is intended for small boat and utility trailers traveling short distances. Figure out a way to get a tire on a 13" or 14" wheel on there before heading out on a long distance trip on the interstate.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I can't figure out what the heck's going on there.

Have you got a cleaner side shot from a bit further back?

Looks like he added a tool box and water jugs to the little platform at the back of his trailer. Everything else is just garage clutter, which is a topic I'm a bit of an expert on :)

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Yea, those little bias ply junk tires need to go. Axle flip and 14" LT tires are where it's at on small trailers. Real speed ratings and virtually zero flats. If you keep those tires, carry two spares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy