Guys with JKUs who tow. How much weight do you tow?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Just curious for the guys with JKUs that tow something behind their Jeep. Whether it be a small boat, off road trailer/camper, etc.

I know the JKUs are rated at 3500lbs. So just wondering what you guys are towing, estimate of what your MPG may be, and how it handles on your Jeep.

I have a 2008 JKU Rubicon. It has the 3.8L and I've regeared it to 5.13s since I'm running a 35" tire.

I'll be in the market within a year or so to get an off road trailer. I'm looking into a teardrop set up and they range from 1200-1500lbs dry and once you start adding options and gear, it adds up. But I'm sure it'll still be under the 3500lb max.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, you have a 2008 JKU--then you don't have a 3.6L v6--it's a 3.8L v6 and will do well with the 5.13--a 3.6L v6 doesn't benefit from 5.13s, unless it's for competition only-

I tow a TENTRAX /w my '08 JKUR and is usually at 1000/1200lbs and I use 5.38 gears-

I have avg mph 14.9mpg on freeway and /w gears don't have any "notice" that I'm towing and I have the famous 42rle auto-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I kinda figured that-

Although I've heard of some guys and I didn't question their intelligence, wanting to "SWAP" a 3.6 for a 3.8--

That would be a (STELLAR), expenditure for a little gain, compared to the hemi/LS swaps-

Rats, I should have electric brakes for long trips too, just never doneit-

Good luck

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I'll have electric brakes for whatever option I end up going with when I get a trailer.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I have a 2012 JKUR with the 3.6L and 5:13 gears.
I have it geared for off road use but I drive it around town a lot and its fine? Its no my DD but it could be. Don't want to start a gear debate but i would not say 5:13's are for competition only?

On the towing note: I had a 2012 palomino banshee off road pop-up I towed with the jeep, it was about 3k loaded. I put a 7 pin plug on the jeep and added a brake controller. The jeep towed it ok. The hills would kill me though. I decided to trade the pop-up in for a fifth wheel that my Dodge diesel pulls :). The jeep now has a matching Tentrax that it loves to pull and some times I forget its even back there, and thats loaded with our camping gear too!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I have it geared for off road use but I drive it around town a lot and its fine? Its no my DD but it could be. Don't want to start a gear debate but i would not say 5:13's are for competition only?

On the towing note: I had a 2012 palomino banshee off road pop-up I towed with the jeep, it was about 3k loaded. I put a 7 pin plug on the jeep and added a brake controller. The jeep towed it ok. The hills would kill me though. I decided to trade the pop-up in for a fifth wheel that my Dodge diesel pulls :). The jeep now has a matching Tentrax that it loves to pull and some times I forget its even back there, and thats loaded with our camping gear too!

I know the gear ratios change on the years/engines on the Jeeps. So I'm not concerned about that. 5.13 is what was mostly common and recommended on my year Jeep and tire size.

With that said, how much does your Tentrax with all your gear loaded up weight? If you have any idea.

Thanks for your input!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Oh I found it. They're pretty light weight. Big difference compared to the others out there.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I towed a Starcraft 14RT tent trailer with the quad deck on front, full bath etc. Loaded up for a three week trip it would 3500 or maybe a bit more. Stock 4.10s with auto trans and a trailer brake set-up. I pulled it up over Mt Lassen in the northern Sierras, and Tioga pass in Yosemite from east to west. It did it, but was bordering on abuse. Anything much over 2000 lbs and you are going to know its behind you!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have an '08 JKUR/w 5.38s and my comment for 5.13s for competition, was for the 2012/2013 jeep/w the new auto and 5.13s are to extreme for a DD and light duty jeeper-

The 5.38s made my towing (Tentrax) pure heaven-

If you're happy with 5.13s and your jeep/auto then you're a rareone, but we're supposed to be happy with OUR JEEPS, so congrads-

stick

Adventurer
I have a '07 that is bone stock. I regularly tow a trailer with six 16' canoes on it. I would estimate that all together it's around 1500#. I get about 14mpg pulling that trailer up and down the hills of PA.

mikeg1713

Adventurer
this is my 3.6 towing my 45 2a on a u-Haul so it was approx 5000 lbs. i had no issues and just kept my distance so i didnt short change myself with stopping.

312597_2187408854166_1515392934_32277400_798774903_n.jpg

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
So I've never towed before, so would I keep the OD off when towing? When do I and when do I not want to use OD when towing?

Thanks for all the info guys.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Now and then I've used my O/D when towing my trailer on long flat freeways, but

Even/w my low gears, there's a slow heat buildup in the locked TQ and whenit gets to 200° I go back to non-O/D--

Now 200° is not very high temp in the auto, but/w my aux coolers I haven't allowed my tranny to "EVER" exceed that 200° hinge point, even off-road/hills/rocks/sand, so

It's not a good idea to use O/D and tow,--no matter what your diiff gear ratio is--that is for a pre 2012 jeep-

schmugboy

Observer
So I've never towed before, so would I keep the OD off when towing? When do I and when do I not want to use OD when towing?

Thanks for all the info guys.

Depends on your speed if you want to go above 60mph and can stand the high rpms of your gears, but I've always towed with O/D off. Before regearing I towed a 500 and a 1500 trailers. Barely able to go 60 and once in the mountains I was down to 40. I'm hoping my regear helps, I would say if you are over 2000 make sure you have brakes on trailer and that it is in your slipstream. You can read my previous post here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Trailer-Towing-experience?p=991638#post991638

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp