Ham radio location in a 100 series

texas taco

Adventurer
I have officially kicked off the build on a 100 series land cruiser. I am trying to locate a place for the face of a yeasu 7800 and the location of the actual transceiver it self. Any 100 series owners have any ideas and pictures of your set up that you would like to share.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
After having the faceplate to my Icom 208H mounted just below the ashtray/in front of the shifter I moved it, due to not being able to see the display clearly most of the time, to headliner just behind the map light/sunroof control panel. I mounted a metal plate to the headliner 'ramp' and then, using HD velcro, attached the Icom 208H faceplate to the metal plate. Solid and no issues in over 2-years of use. When I get a chance I'm going to bend a piece of metal so that the faceplate is more direct to my line of sight...another item for "my list" ;).

I also installed a small speaker just behind the DS visor in the headliner. Its easy to hear all RX without ambient road noise, etc., getting in the way.

I mounted the main portion of the radio to the front panel of my African Outback drawers for easy access.

Attachments

• Icom 208H 100 Series Mount.jpg
    Icom 208H 100 Series Mount.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Ham speaker 100-Series headliner.jpg
    Ham speaker 100-Series headliner.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0865.jpg
    DSC_0865.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 17
I mounted my ID 880 Star in a similar location and my HF rig down by the ash tray. They both work well. 880 rf deck is under passenger seat and HF deck is in back next to the stock subwoofer. Here is a night photo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351659145.314106.jpg

texas taco

Adventurer
Thanks for the help. I am leaning that way. As for the mic I was thinking about making a cat 5 extension with a receptical on one end so I can plug my mic in low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl