Help deciding what inflatable Kayak to purchase, please.

I am an avid kayak fisherman. Lacey and I own rigid sit on tops, but due to space constraints we will not be able to take said sit on tops on our upcoming expedition.

We will be doing a lot of fishing and spearfishing so I would like to have a kayak (or some sort of flotation device) with us. If anyone here in ExPo has any experience with one please tell us.

We looked at folding kayaks but they are prohibitively expensive. I have narrowed the search to the following inflatables:

Airis
airis_kayak_sport_118677_2_3.jpg

Aire
LNIIDP.jpg

Thanks in advance.

go4aryd

Adventurer
The Aire Super Lynx is a nice boat. I have "demo"-ed it several times here in ID. It is a tad long if your have to portage much by yourself (long enough it has a hard time supporting its own weight for a single-person carry). If most all your kayak work will be flat water, then I would strongly recommend looking at the Sea Tiger - which is 100x better at flat water tracking due to the integral V-kneel shaped floor.

I ended getting an older Lynx2. It is great and I have fished from it. I plan on using again this July on a trip. It is easy to handle out of water for a single person, has room for gear or another someone. As I'm a bit older now and not as excited for 3+ whitewater, if I were buying today, I would probably buy a Superlynx.

In the past, I had looked at the older Strike and Tributary models. I don't like wasting time with patches (boats or tires), so I would personally pass on the Tributary. The Strike was better than the Trib in terms of construction materials. I don't know if that is still the same today or not. I have not seen the new Sawtooth (looks interesting). If you have any questions, give AIRE a call - they are great and they know their product extremely well. Their customer service around here is Legend (...and no, I don't work there!) :)

Oh, and in all my years, I have never seen their stuff on sale (local demo boats are only 10% off after a summer of rentals).

cpg

Adventurer
I have used a sea eagle 380x Pro Kayak for 4+ years in the ocean and it has held up well.

Advanced Elements
Thanks for pointing out this brand. I really like a couple of their designs, I am seriously considering the Straight Edge 2 (Link), man this is only getting more complicated.

paulj said:
My pack anywhere kayak is the Innova Safari.
Damn! I had not seen Innova either, I like one of their 2 seaters.

The Aire Super Lynx is a nice boat.
...If you have any questions, give AIRE a call - they are great and they know their product extremely well. Their customer service around here is Legend (...and no, I don't work there!) :)
I really like the Lynx, and I have used Aire for whitewater rafting before. I will call them to get some feedback.

I have used a sea eagle 380x Pro Kayak for 4+ years in the ocean and it has held up well.
I will look into it, looks comfy. Have you used it for fishing? I have seen your Baja fishing pics and it looks like you use a sweet little Zodiac.

I guess instead of narrowing it down this gave me more food for thought, I wish we had a place to test boats out in my area...

I may just have to pick one at random, they all seem reliable.
Thanks for the input.

peekay

Adventurer
Thanks for pointing out this brand. I really like a couple of their designs, I am seriously considering the Straight Edge 2 (Link), man this is only getting more complicated.

Damn! I had not seen Innova either, I like one of their 2 seaters.

I really like the Lynx, and I have used Aire for whitewater rafting before. I will call them to get some feedback.

I will look into it, looks comfy. Have you used it for fishing? I have seen your Baja fishing pics and it looks like you use a sweet little Zodiac.

I guess instead of narrowing it down this gave me more food for thought, I wish we had a place to test boats out in my area...

I may just have to pick one at random, they all seem reliable.
Thanks for the input.
I had originally purchased a Straightedge. But when it arrived, it had a pinhole so I had to return it and ended up getting the Advanced Frame. Having had both, I have to say the Advanced Frame is worth the extra cost. The Straightedge is a bit cramped for two people. It's fine if you are just going out without much gear. But once you add in a cooler, a pump, and maybe another pack, it is pretty cramped. Plus, it does not have the outer covering throughout the whole kayak. I imagine it would puncture more easily as a result.

TexGX

Explorer
I have the Advance Element two seater. I love the way it tracks. I have used it on rivers and lakes. I done some mild rapids, class 2, without problem. It folds up to the size of a large suite case. I got mine because I have a travel trailer and did not want additional wind resistance. I also like the fact that I can set it up for 2 or 1. Set up for one, it would work well to fish out of. If you buy if from REI and don't like it, they will let you return it.

TexGX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3