Help help help truck wont start after 4wheeling

jgpoirier

Adventurer
This weekend went out camping and did a bit of wheeling through some trails and such. Truck worked great friday and saturday, went to start the truck to attach the trailer and it wont start. Can smell fuel, pulled the spark plug on the #1 but dont see spark. You can hear the starter turning and when I try to boost off of another vehicle it sputters a little bit, but just won't start. Looking in the intake box there is a little bit of water sitting in the bottom but not much at all. The filter isn't wet, so I am hoping like hell that I didn't hydrolock the motor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Guy

D

DEEZLPWR

did you do a water crossing? might be condensation in the cap/rotor.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Yes a bit of a water crossing, up to the bottom of my grill. But the weird thing about the 47 is that that motor does not use a dizzy so that has me all confused.

chasespeed

Explorer
Okay... get your trusty can of WD40.....

Pull all connections involving the ignition, one at a time, and spray them with WD40, or, CL220(if you can find that). and give it a whirl. THEN, add dielectric grease to as many electrical connections as you can.

I am NOT a fan of WD40.. but, for this, it works pretty good....

If that doesnt work, check your cam position sensors, and/or crankshaft position sensor....

Chase

D

DEEZLPWR

Yes a bit of a water crossing, up to the bottom of my grill. But the weird thing about the 47 is that that motor does not use a dizzy so that has me all confused.

ahh ok didnt know that. hmmm...

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Make sure you have a good battery and connections. I have seen so many times where a no start is caused by a bad battery or connections. It will crank ok but won't start. These newer computer controlled vehicles need enough voltage to run the ecm or no start. I like seeing at least 10.8 volts on the battery while cranking. Watch the tach if your truck has one while cranking for a few seconds, if it moves that means you have a crank signal off the crank sensor usually. Also listen for the fuel pump when you first turn the key on, you might have to have a helper put there ear to the fuel filler and they should hear a buzzing sound from the fuel tank. If the ecm is in the engine compartment like the big dodges try unplugging the connectors one at a time and look for water or gunk, a lot of times just plugging them back in while fix any connection problem. If your sparkplugs were wet with fuel try drying them out before you crank on it any more. I have also seen where worn plugs, cold morning, bad gas will cause a no start.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Well I took the day off today so I'm going out with my liberty, a new battery, and new spark plugs cause yesterday the gap seemed quite large. I do believe the crank sensor is good because when it does almost turn over my rpm will move. Well hopefully I can get er going before long.

Thanks for the help fellows, I'll let you know if it works,

Guy

jgpoirier

Adventurer
We think that we have determined that I did suck some water in and that over night it probably settled inside the motor and it's getting close to starting. But the water I was in of course, wasn't perfectly clean in fact it was quite muddy. Im starting to love how when the mud dries it will act like sand paper and wreck my cylinder walls and eventually i'll lose compression. But I'm hoping like hell it aint that bad.

Guy

rob845

Did you suck water into the cat? if it is plugged the truck will not start....

Also to check spark it needs to be grounded or inside the head, its best to check with a spark tester. Or pull the plug and place the tip on metal...

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Just to inform anyone that might have cared. But i did lose the engine. The water had cause one piston to seize overnight, when I cranked the motor over I snapped one of three timing chains on the 4.7. Thus i eneded up smacking almost half the valves, and the cylinder walls were toast. I sold the truck and the guy who purchased it has since then dropped a 12 valve cummins into it.

Guy

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Check the ASD relay. To check just switch it with the A/C relay and see if it starts.
The ASD relay is very common, I always have an spare in the glove box.

ExpoMike

Check the ASD relay. To check just switch it with the A/C relay and see if it starts.
The ASD relay is very common, I always have an spare in the glove box.

Guess you didn't read all the posts did ya... :costumed-smiley-007

Here is what the OP said what happened,

"Just to inform anyone that might have cared. But i did lose the engine. The water had cause one piston to seize overnight, when I cranked the motor over I snapped one of three timing chains on the 4.7. Thus i eneded up smacking almost half the valves, and the cylinder walls were toast. I sold the truck and the guy who purchased it has since then dropped a 12 valve cummins into it."

I doubt it was a relay based on his info... :ylsmoke:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Guess you didn't read all the posts did ya... :costumed-smiley-007

Here is what the OP said what happened,

"Just to inform anyone that might have cared. But i did lose the engine. The water had cause one piston to seize overnight, when I cranked the motor over I snapped one of three timing chains on the 4.7. Thus i eneded up smacking almost half the valves, and the cylinder walls were toast. I sold the truck and the guy who purchased it has since then dropped a 12 valve cummins into it."

I doubt it was a relay based on his info... :ylsmoke:

Guess I missed that last post. But my info is still good to know if anyone else has a fuel injected Chrysler vehicle that won't start!

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I will be more careful so you won't have to correct me again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism