Help me out here! GPS for Ipad Mini

Dave_g

Ok, First of thanks for any help that I can get!

I have been following this forum for a little while, but have not posted anything, I am active duty deployed currently but am rounding the corner for my return. Before I left, I purchased an Ipad Mini for books, videos and games. While I was cruising around on this forum I noticed that people were mounting computers and such in their rigs for GPS and Topo maps. I want to put my Ipad in my JK!

I have a 2013 JK, and an Ipad mini, what do I have to do to get GPS on it, and get topo maps for fourwheeling and general exploring? What would be the best mounting solutions?

KhakiStinger

You would have had to buy the ipad mini with wireless + cellular to get the GPS feature. The normal wireless only one does not have the GPS capability.

Rich

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I run an iPad mini (Wifi only) with a Garmin GLO for GPS. The Garmin connects to the iPad using Bluetooth. The GLO is very accurate and tracks well even through heavier tree cover.

For the app, I'm using Motion X GPS HD, I'm very satisfied with it.

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I also use Garman GLO for my ipad mini (wifi only) works like a champ. The apps I use are; You Need a Map, Topo Map, and All Stays. I use it un-mounted in rubber ipad protector. This sway it doesn't slip around on my bench console.

I have a '13 JK and use a mini for nav. I bought a ram ball mount, and screwed it into the back of the screen cover for my otter box. I put the Ipad in the mount so the screen is facing me (obviously) its quite stable, and secure. I use TOPO maps for offroad nag, and Motion X GPS Drive for on road turn by turn. (I prefer the non HD version, as it displays the speed limit for the road you are on, if available, and it also displays your current speed. very nice if you havent corrected your speedo for oversize tires.)

I will take pictures of the setup tomorrow.

RobRed

Explorer
Dave I wrote a FAQ about iPad Nav that may help you out http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26

I still prefer Motion X GPS HD for my nav app though I have over 20 others.

Mounting solutions will vary depending on you appetite for modification. The low pain easy to do mount is something like a RAM mount.

Ok, First of thanks for any help that I can get!

I have been following this forum for a little while, but have not posted anything, I am active duty deployed currently but am rounding the corner for my return. Before I left, I purchased an Ipad Mini for books, videos and games. While I was cruising around on this forum I noticed that people were mounting computers and such in their rigs for GPS and Topo maps. I want to put my Ipad in my JK!

I have a 2013 JK, and an Ipad mini, what do I have to do to get GPS on it, and get topo maps for fourwheeling and general exploring? What would be the best mounting solutions?

96Delica

Adventurer
I have a question about this, with the topo maps on the iPad, do they automatically load as you go? Or do you have to open the map for the next area that you're driving through? Can you load waypoints on the topo maps? I'm interested in this as well. I like the idea of GPS for back road use but I don't need it for daily driving around the city.

RobRed

Explorer
Your choice... If you have a data plan and network coverage they load as needed. If you're travelling to area without network coverage you can often "preload" maps for those areas depending on your chosen application.

fireball

Explorer
The garmin unit at 100 bucks is almost half the price of the bad elf. Any reason to spend the extra bucks?

Of course 100 extra gets you pretty close to just buying the cellular enabled iPad...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Bad Elf Pro and Garmin GLO are both Bluetooth devices. Looks like to me the Bad Elf can feed more than one device, which the GLO might not be able to do. Not sure how useful that is to be honest, dunno. It also has some functions as a stand-alone GPS so it would continue to be useful even without the iPad.

Bad Elf also makes a plug-in device, which is what I have seen before. The advantage to this would be if you are on battery you can turn off Bluetooth to save some energy. They also include CoPilot Premium for turn-by-turn, so that's nice. Plus IIRC, Bad Elf stuff is made in the USA. I know Garmin manufactures overseas, if that's important to you.

A

agavelvr

An InReach will serve GPS location to your ipad via blue tooth, with the added functionality of sending and receiving messages where cell service does not exist. See write up in my signature for the details.

Alternatively, I have used a Dual Bluetooth GPS with my gen 1 ipad and a laptop (though not at the same time, not sure if it can do that). It was excellent, includes a car charging cord, and lasts all day without being plugged in.

haven

Expedition Leader
So far, we've identified six ways to add GPS navigation to an iPad

Buy an IPad with WiFi plus cellular modem (includes GPS receiver) ... ... $130 more than WiFi-only iPad

Buy an IPad with WiFi only, and add an external GPS. Models that work with iPad include
-- Bad Elf Pro (uses Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $179
-- Bad Elf (plugs directly into bottom of iPad, models for Apple 30 pin or Lightning port) ... ... MSRP $129
-- Garmin GLO (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $99
-- Delorme InReach (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $249 plus monthly subscription
-- Dual XGPS150A (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $100

These are list prices. Many online retailers offer discounts. Check before making your purchase

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
Haven good recap.

I think you should remove the word "service" in your sentence "Buy an IPad with WiFi plus cellular service (includes GPS) "

It has a connotation that a cell plan is needed where it is not.

So far, we've identified six ways to add GPS navigation to an iPad

Buy an IPad with WiFi plus cellular service (includes GPS) ... ... $130 more than WiFi-only iPad

Buy an IPad with WiFi only, and add an external GPS. Models that work with iPad include
-- Bad Elf Pro (uses Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $179
-- Bad Elf (plugs directly into bottom of iPad, models for Apple 30 pin or Lightning port) ... ... MSRP $129
-- Garmin GLO (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $99
-- Delorme InReach (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $249 plus monthly subscription
-- Dual XGPS150A (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $100

These are list prices. Many online retailers offer discounts. Check before making your purchase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat