hi-lift to break a tire bead?

rovingowl

Observer
i've read that a hi-lift jack can be used (among many other ways) to break a tire bead, can someone explain this technique? or point me to the info?

thanks

mmccurdy

Adventurer
This general technique works the same way without the tool. I've used this on the trail to replace valve stems that can only be accessed from inside the tire.

Basically just place the tire on the ground and position the jack base near the bead, and raise the jack (lower the foot) until it breaks.

I've also seen guys just carefully drive on to the sidewall of the tire with another rig (or after mounting a spare) to break it, but somehow that seems worse for the tire.

michaelgroves

Explorer
I've also seen guys just carefully drive on to the sidewall of the tire with another rig (or after mounting a spare) to break it, but somehow that seems worse for the tire.

I've done that often. I'm not sure why it would be worse for the tyre, in you're careful. But it sometimes requires lots of attempts (rotating the tyre) to break the bead. Less successful with wide tyres on the bead-breaking truck!

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
We don't have the special tool (though I've seen it used and it's pretty slick) and we have had to use that method many times.

I took a tire repair class (thanks Martyn) and have always been curious if I would be strong enough to break the bead with tire pliers. Turns out that I'm not at least not with our tires, so the high lift is the method I would use if I needed to do it.

bugnout

Adventurer
I've done this many times.

Remove the valve stem to let all the air out.
Position the tire so the jack bottom plate is as close to the tire bead as possible without overlapping the wheel.
Jack tooth inserted into the hitch receiver
depress the tire sidewall until the bead breaks.

Breaking the bead is easier than getting it set again. Thats always the tricky part.

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
Remove the valve core??

Yes. Not the entire valve stem, but just the threaded core inside.

It will need to be removed anyhow when you got to inflate if you don't have a compressor/ratchet strap and need to use ether.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I bought a couple of the cheap Harbor Freight tire irons with the complex curve on one end. I was astonished how easy it was to break the bead on my Fuso tire just using those irons. Just slip the thin end with the complex curve between the tire and rim and press down. I did it with two irons but then tried 3 and it was even easier. I've broken a lot of beads with tire machines in my day and wouldn't have guessed that simple tire irons could be that effective.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93230

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy