Hilux_Max's New D4D Hilux from OZ

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
G'day all,

Been a while since Ive been back on here but in that time I sold off my previous 3.4 V6 5 speed manual Hilux pictured below and bought a brand new shape one.

Previously-
wranglerlux1.jpg

And what my current one looked like at the dealer before picking her up-
10072007079.jpg

After a week or so, Ive had fitted a safari snorkel, colour coded the grill and have raised the front suspension just under 3" with Desert Fox Foam Cell Struts and the rear just over 3" with Desert Fox Foam Cell Shocks, and reset factory leaves.

The front suspension-
27072007101.jpg

The rear setup-
27072007102.jpg

Adding to this are a set of Polished 16x8" Mags running 285/75x16 Maxxis Buckshot Tyres. Im currently having rubbing issues and have removed the mudflap and trimmed some plastic but due to the offset of the wheels the tyre is hitting the chassis to body mount at the rear of the front guard. I'll know tomorrow after a wheel alignment and castor adjustment if I can run with this wheel offset or have to get another one.

I just to be able to move the wheel slightly forward, dont know how much "give" it has.

Here's some pics of her at me mates workshop - (just note, i am getting wheel arch flares to 'hopefully' cover the tyres too)
26072007093.jpg

26072007092.jpg

26072007091.jpg

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
I have also ordered in a Front Underbody Guard pictured below which voers below the engine and transmission-
tjm-armour.jpg

and some sort of bullbar on the front to give more clearance for the tyres and frontal protection.

Below is a pic of me mates Hilux. Hes running the same setup as me thou is 5" high and running 305/75x16 Buckshots on custom made and custom offset steel rims -

BLAKSR5-1.jpg

and one of his mates has only a 3" lift on the front of his hilux to level out the look and has 22inch rims on it.

20072007086.jpg

Just thought Id share some hilux stuff with you. they are similar to the Tacomas and thought something different may be interesting. I know there another Australian Hilux member on here too, so hopefully our numbers buildup abit. :arabia:

Brian894x4

Explorer
Very nice!

The underbody protection looks awesome. Is that a larger fuel tank or some kind of fuel tank protector?

Also, now that you guys have had the new Hilux for a little while is anyone reporting any issues or problems with the new front suspension or steering?

Specificly, how is the rack and pinion steering holding up on the outback trails, since this is the first Hilux with that type of steering?

Also, I'm curious what the load rating is for your rig? Total weight capacity with passengers and gear, for example.

Do they come with optional lockers or limited slip over there?

I notice that even on the newest Hiluxes, you guys still use the old style bed with the old style tie downs and tailgate latches. I wonder why. Don't get me wrong. I actually like them better and see how they are useful, but it's just interesting that even on the newest rig they're still used. I wonder if its because its a heavy duty design. I guess the American versions stopped using that style bed and tie downs in the early 1980s, because for some reason our beds were always made in North America. I don't know why. Apparently our new Tacoma beds are made in Mexico now and are fiberglass or something like that. Edit: I see you guys actually have two styles of beds, one smooth and one with the tie downs and double rear latches. Very interesting.

And finally, I noticed that almost all Australian trucks and utes that I see have that same style running board. Are those made by ARB? Is there a legal requirement to have those?

Just curious. Sorry for all the questions. Very nice rig!!!

Last edited:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
The under body protection is not on my vehicle yet. Thats just a pick of it on another vehicle and yes, that vehicle has a larger fuel tank on it.

I havent heard of any suspension problems yet with the front en, thou most suspension lifts on the new hilux's are kept at just 2" or under that, and the ones over are usually with drop brackets to drop the front diff.

Mine is one of the few that actually use a longer strut setup to keep the diff centre off the ground higher, thou i assume it would increase a little bit more wear on CV's.

I have also realised that the boot setup is different on this hilux in that when the cv are at a larger angle, the tops of the ribbing on the cv-boot doesnt actually touch like the older model, which increased the wear rate of them.

The new ones seem to actually stack up against each other like a deck of cards, if you can picture that, so it would reduce the wear rate.

The bed that i have on mine is more practical fro tying down items in the back, thou on this model there arent any tie down hooks inside the bed. If you get a factory inner liner it has four hooks on the corners thou these arent as strong as the four on the previous model.

I'll be adding more tie down points when I do fit an inner liner, as you can never have enough when carrying gear out on trips.

Just some facts on the Hilux -

Factory ground clearance is 210mm
Has front drivers and passenger side airbags for added safety (donr know if the US Taco's have safety airbags?)
ABS brakes

Tare Weight is 1880 kg
Gross Vehicle Mass is 2780kg

(so stock it would hold 900kgs)

76 litre fuel tank

towing capacity - 750kg's unbraked
towing capacity with brakes - 2250kg's

Engine is a 3 litre D4D diesel
air to air intercooler
Four speed auto , 5 speed manual optional
(V6's get 5 speed auto's or 6 speed manual's)

average fuel consumption as stated by toyota is 9.5 litres per 100km
(this is going by industry standards. the manual gets 8.5 litres per 100km)

My first fuel tank of fuel I got 9.2 per 100km with the standard small wheels.

Thats about all i got. Sorry about the figures, but I don't know how to convert them to miles per gallon and the like, so you'll have to try work it out ya'selves to compare to the rigs in the states.

:26_7_2:

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Conversion for the Bass Ackwards US

Factory ground clearance is 210mm
Has front drivers and passenger side airbags for added safety (donr know if the US Taco's have safety airbags?)
ABS brakes

Tare Weight is 1880 kg 4136 lbs
Gross Vehicle Mass is 2780kg 6116 lbs

(so stock it would hold 900kgs) 1980 lbs

76 litre fuel tank 20 gals

towing capacity - 750kg's unbraked 1650 lbs
towing capacity with brakes - 2250kg's 4950 lbs

Engine is a 3 litre D4D diesel
air to air intercooler
Four speed auto , 5 speed manual optional
(V6's get 5 speed auto's or 6 speed manual's)

average fuel consumption as stated by toyota is 9.5 litres per 100km 25mpg
(this is going by industry standards. the manual gets 8.5 litres per 100km) 27.9 mpg

My first fuel tank of fuel I got 9.2 per 100km with the standard small wheels. 25.82 mpg

Brian894x4

Explorer
Impressive figures!

Is the rear axle semi-floating or full floating? And if it's semi-floating, do they make any Hiluxes with full floating axles?

Also, where was your Hilux made? I've heard all the Asian/Pacific bound Hiluxes are made in Thailand now? Or maybe I'm thinking of Mayalasia.

Our Tacomas are rated at 1/2 ton and a comparable model to yours weighes in at 4090 (1855) empty and gross of 5450 (2472) Most Americans don't have a need for a 1 ton Tacoma, but it would be nice to have the same 1 ton frame as the Hilux, like we used to prior to 1995.

Last edited:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
the rear is a solid live axle.

and they are made in thailand. They reckon the chassis are stronger than ever, thou the panels are light and very flexy.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nice Hilux! I liked the old one, too, though.
Brian894x4 said:
I notice that even on the newest Hiluxes, you guys still use the old style bed with the old style tie downs and tailgate latches. I guess the American versions stopped using that style bed and tie downs in the early 1980s, because for some reason our beds were always made in North America. I don't know why. Apparently our new Tacoma beds are made in Mexico now and are fiberglass or something like that.
We stopped getting proper external bed hooks around 1984, right? That's when the 2nd gen 4WD came out. I dunno why, but I personally like external bed hooks and have a couple of those aftermarket ones bolted to my bed.

The new Tacomas have composite inner skins, but the outside is still sheet metal. I think the idea is that since most people put in bed liners, why not integrate it into the bed itself? I dunno, mine's never had a bed liner and looks like heck, all beat up and dented, so maybe there's logic to it.

I think Toyota for a long time brought in cab-and-chassis to save space and weight for shipping. I also think having NUMMI make truck boxes was a way to dial in the production lines before whole truck assembly was switched over.

Brian894x4

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
I think Toyota for a long time brought in cab-and-chassis to save space and weight for shipping. I also think having NUMMI make truck boxes was a way to dial in the production lines before whole truck assembly was switched over.

That could be. The new Toyota plant in Tijuana, Mexico, started out by making all Tacoma beds for the new models. The plan was to then start producing 30,000 Tacomas per year to augment NUMMI production, for the U.S. market. From what I've read, they produced 24,000 Tacomas in 2005, so they're definately producing a significant percentage of Tacomas in our market.

Last edited:

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I think that the composite bed is a good idea. Seems like it will hold up in the long run.

Of course, Nullifer has made me want a ute bed for the truck:D

Cheers,

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nuclear Redneck said:
Of course, Nullifer has made me want a ute bed for the truck
I'd be all over a utility bed for my truck if I didn't have the WilderNest. Still, when my bed does begin to rust (hasn't rusted in 17 years, so that might be a big if), I'll be thinking flat bed with utility cabinets along the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal