How did Northern Indiana become so popular for RV Manufactures?

mparker

I recently passed through the South Bend area and noticed on I80 there are a lot of RV manufactures... Anyone know how Northern IN became THE RV builder spot? Doesn't seen to be close to anything..lol

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Highly motivated in winter with lots of spare time on their hands? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three guys in the 30's in the same area, and a base of manufacturing to draw upon, in people and suppliers (from auto manufacturing.) Thenit just snowballed with all of the suppliers and support businesses popping up.

I'm pretty sure there are several articles on it widely available.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I don't know which manufacture the Amish craftsmen are working for but, it's none of the mainstream builders I'm sure judging by the lack of build quality in today's RV's.

And I say that as an owner of a new(ish) RV with with less than stellar build quality.
My teardrop was made by Happy Valley Trailers, mostly Amish craftsmen. I've been dragging it around for almost 10 years and it's still solid as a brick, no squeaks, rattles, or separated seams. But they were Ohio, not Indiana. When Happy Valley bought Little Guy they moved manufacturing to improve quality.

The brains behind that, Scott Hubble, is now at nuCamp RV and still building quality trailers.

jeepers29

My teardrop was made by Happy Valley Trailers, mostly Amish craftsmen. I've been dragging it around for almost 10 years and it's still solid as a brick, no squeaks, rattles, or separated seams. But they were Ohio, not Indiana. When Happy Valley bought Little Guy they moved manufacturing to improve quality.

The brains behind that, Scott Hubble, is now at nuCamp RV and still building quality trailers.
We have a T@G that was built by Little Guy just before they split/sold to Nucamp. We have put 20,000+ miles on that thing and it is still as solid as the day we bought it. We have also owned several other rv's from the mainstream builders. I will never own one of the big names again. Our little teardrop is not off road worthy but we love to use it when we are just going out to camp at local parks.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
hhhmmm.....Elkhart, Indiana......RV capital of the free world.... In the late 80's I had to spend two weeks every year in Elkhart for K-9 recertification. Once the sun went down there was nothing to do in that town but drink beer down in the riverfront park or drive down the road too where they built Humvees and watch them test them on the off-road course.....while drinking beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner

Members online