How did you skin with Aluminum?

BSEETTU

Sooooo I went ahead and decided that I'd skin the plywood with Aluminum (.032). I was going to just spray it with Raptor liner, but I've seen enough people with issues that I'm going to use Aluminum first.
My question is, what is the best method for attaching Aluminum sheeting? Industrial adhesive? lap sealant? silicone? How do you apply pressure as it dries?
I should also add that I plan to use 1.5" angle for the corners and 1.5" strap where the sheets come together on flat surfaces.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: plh

Teardropper

First of all, I give the cabin a coating of epoxy before sheathing. There are two schools of thought on skinning with aluminum. Glue or float.

I'm a floater. The trim, doors, hinge, etc hold it in place.

z1sERAg.jpg

Tony

Akguytoo

Sooooo I went ahead and decided that I'd skin the plywood with Aluminum (.032). I was going to just spray it with Raptor liner, but I've seen enough people with issues that I'm going to use Aluminum first.
My question is, what is the best method for attaching Aluminum sheeting? Industrial adhesive? lap sealant? silicone? How do you apply pressure as it dries?
I should also add that I plan to use 1.5" angle for the corners and 1.5" strap where the sheets come together on flat surfaces.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I don't have much to help but plywood, aluminum then raptor liner?

It's probably the picture but looks like the front box is sloped toward the main box. Even if not I would so worry about that corner letting water in

Teardropper

One thing to consider, it's easy to skin a teardrop shape with aluminum. But those angles...

Qnn3YEf.jpg

o_O

"I was going to just spray it with Raptor liner, but I've seen enough people with issues..."

That's because you need to fiberglass/epoxy the cabin first.

Monstaliner over fiberglass/epoxy:

B6A7f7r.jpg

(y)

Tony

BSEETTU

I don't have much to help but plywood, aluminum then raptor liner?

It's probably the picture but looks like the front box is sloped toward the main box. Even if not I would so worry about that corner letting water in

It doesn't slope toward the cabin, but I can see how it looks like that. I'm hoping that with everything I'm putting on it, it'll hold out the water.

BSEETTU

One thing to consider, it's easy to skin a teardrop shape with aluminum. But those angles...

o_O

Tony

Ya, I bent the 12 degree one last night. it was a challenge, but I got it pretty good. so two questions.
1. it's big enough that I need two separate pieces per side. would you use a piece of aluminum strap over where the two pieces butt together?
2. if you float, do you use a sealant still?

Teardropper

Ya, I bent the 12 degree one last night. it was a challenge, but I got it pretty good. so two questions.
1. it's big enough that I need two separate pieces per side. would you use a piece of aluminum strap over where the two pieces butt together?
2. if you float, do you use a sealant still?

I've never explored having to cover a seam such as you are mentioning. If it's on the walls, I'd probably butt the sheets and cover them with some kind of trim. Perhaps strap.

I always seal with epoxy before I sheath. You absolutely need to seal the wood first. You could get by with two or three coats of thinned oil-based polyurethane varnish.

Tony

BSEETTU

I've never explored having to cover a seam such as you are mentioning. If it's on the walls, I'd probably butt the sheets and cover them with some kind of trim. Perhaps strap.

I always seal with epoxy before I sheath. You absolutely need to seal the wood first. You could get by with two or three coats of thinned oil-based polyurethane varnish.

Tony

Yes, I've got PU and primer/sealant painted on. What I meant, and what I've seen some others do, is do you put silicone or something like that on to help stick the sheathing?

Teardropper

Yes, I've got PU and primer/sealant painted on. What I meant, and what I've seen some others do, is do you put silicone or something like that on to help stick the sheathing?

I don't. Just the trim, doors, hinge, etc. Which is common.

ZT7M5br.jpg

Tony

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333