How long should springs last?

ashooter

Adventurer
In my '92 FJ80 - I'm running OME 861/862 "low lift" springs and OEM (not OME) shocks, lightly loaded, no armor. I've had the springs in for about 3 years, and had developed 1/2" sag on the LF and about 3/4" sag on the LR. I just evened it out with trim packers yesterday, and the truck rides fine, but I'm wondering if I'll need to install new springs in a year or two...?

My truck does about 5,000 miles on the highway and 2,500 miles off-pavement per year. The off-pavement is mainly 20-30 mph rough, rocky, washboardy roads, but maybe 50-100 miles of that is slow crawling type driving where there is no road at all.

What kind of lifespan should I expect out of springs? Would it be "normal" to replace them every time you replace shocks?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I wouldn't think they'd need to be replaced, absent extreme usage, e.g. overloading, for many years....

Some degree of settling is expected, thought, and 1/4" or so I think would be acceptable. 3/4" seems a bit much.

-H-

ashooter

Adventurer
I trusted the guy that put them in, but now I'm starting to think maybe he got the left-right ones switched around on the rear. I ended up stacking 20mm of packers on the left-rear and the body is still 1/4" lower on the left. I only added 5mm to the low side in the front and it's perfect.

Maybe I'll swap those rear springs around this weekend and see what happens.

The truck handles fine, but it just annoys me because it's not exactly right.

Last edited:

docroh

Observer
All I know is my 97s springs are worn out......at least that is what I am going to tell the wife to justify the new 3.5 in lift kit:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven